News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Welcome to Bonny Scotland.... No Stopping

Started by Bobfly, April 29, 2021, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Policing in Scotland has become such a shambles under the SNP that they very often don't have the manpower to investigate burglaries, far less someone parked on the verge of the A82 whilst have a few casts in Loch Ba. :roll:

Just the very thought of this is laughable and that's before we even start considering who the ned element are most likely to be voting for in elections. ***

***   hint : it's not the Conservatives     :lol:

caorach

Quote from: ianmck on May 01, 2021, 02:36:42 PM
I can't see that ever changing until they start towing the cars.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I guess the problem with towing cars is that it must be a pretty time consuming job and there are only a very limited number of tow trucks - a lot of the places where these problems occur are fairly remote so you have to take the car to somewhere and by the time you factor all of that in it is probably going to take the best part of a full day to tow a single car.

I am also loath to encourage further restrictions on travel and behaviour. The experience with the speed camera/humps/calming scams was that the people most impacted and most likely to get caught were locals, often the very people who had demanded the restrictions on their freedoms believing it would only catch other people. My bet is that any towing scheme would be virtually invisible on bank holidays when a million cars were badly parked and grockle wagons were dumping their toilet contents in the rivers but come the day the truck arrives to take this year's lambs to market a lot of locals who'd parked to load a trailer, or needed to cross the road in a slightly dodgy tractor, would find themselves towed.

Bobfly

As I read the article, the fine is a fixed rate off £135 for stopping on the carriageway for the 35 miles section. You are only supposed to stop in the proper designated layby places. Pulling off safely onto the verge does not get a mention so the stretch at the Auch road end would likely be vulnerable unless a length of proper pull in is made. The Access Code is now Approved Access Only.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

ianmck

Quote from: caorach on May 01, 2021, 03:01:13 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you but I guess the problem with towing cars is that it must be a pretty time consuming job and there are only a very limited number of tow trucks - a lot of the places where these problems occur are fairly remote so you have to take the car to somewhere and by the time you factor all of that in it is probably going to take the best part of a full day to tow a single car.

I am also loath to encourage further restrictions on travel and behaviour. The experience with the speed camera/humps/calming scams was that the people most impacted and most likely to get caught were locals, often the very people who had demanded the restrictions on their freedoms believing it would only catch other people. My bet is that any towing scheme would be virtually invisible on bank holidays when a million cars were badly parked and grockle wagons were dumping their toilet contents in the rivers but come the day the truck arrives to take this year's lambs to market a lot of locals who'd parked to load a trailer, or needed to cross the road in a slightly dodgy tractor, would find themselves towed.

Yeah I'm not suggesting it is practical to tow all the vehicles, but as a deterrent, if a few people get towed and word gets out, it will make people think twice. There are many issues at play. Lack of and cost of public transport. Narrow roads that were never designed for the volume and size of vehicles. Not enough car parking/laybys etc. There's been a few incidents recently where numpties have parked across gates that mountain rescue use to access hills and they've been unable to get access during emergencies. They should most definitely be towed (and crushed in my opinion).

At the devils pulpit, the entire area is now double yellow lines. Cones and tapes on all the verges. Signs everywhere. The council have wardens who basically sit there all day booking cars. You often see several police cars there also issuing fines and yet cars still pull up beside the cops, and park illegally because they know the fine is meaningless and is unlikely to be pursued if they don't pay it. It's so bad that home owners miles along the road have to physically block the entrance to their own property as cars just get parked right across their driveway.

ianmck

Quote from: admin on May 01, 2021, 02:53:53 PM
Policing in Scotland has become such a shambles under the SNP that they very often don't have the manpower to investigate burglaries, far less someone parked on the verge of the A82 whilst have a few casts in Loch Ba. :roll:

Just the very thought of this is laughable and that's before we even start considering who the ned element are most likely to be voting for in elections. ***

***   hint : it's not the Conservatives     :lol:

:lol: That's a good point. The loch Ba carpark isn't an "official" lay by  :lol:

Laxdale

That may happen. The cops were very proactive in tackling dodgy parking post lockdown last year. It would also be naïve to think that there has not been a lot of talking and planning about lessons learned and what to do this summer.
And this is not one for the "failed initiative" bin. The powers that be know they have to sort the problems, sooner rather than later. eg, it is more than an inconvenience when people cannot get to hospital appointments, and emergency services cannot get to a shout due to the obstacle courses.

Wildfisher

I think this is a problem that could be solved by independence.  :lol:

Bobfly

The specific issue for the A class Trunk road in question is people stopping on the carriageway and dangerously screwing up traffic flow. Hence the specific designation of the 35 mile section and a special fine being applied. No doubt some carefully worded bilingual signs will be erected.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page