News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

First Loch Trip Of The Year

Started by Wildfisher, May 09, 2021, 07:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

caorach

Another great video Fred. Tough weather though but you did catch something and it was a right nice trout so what's not to like? We are still getting March weather here but tomorrow is to be a reasonable day for March so maybe I will get another we run out with the rod but it is going to look just like your loch. If I get my act together I'll file another video, though I don't think mine will have the same high production values as yours, you even have music!!

Wildfisher

I was so slow and should have had a few more. To be honest I'm astonished I even saw a fish, the water is bloody freezing, these hill were all white a few days ago.  That loch is about 1000 feet above sea level and deep, and it's also in the snowy eastern highlands.

burnie

A decent height of water Fred, I've never fished it before June, but have heard tales of better fish showing early on, that's assuming all the poachers haven't eaten them all. I may have a run up there later in the year, it is a lovely place to fish and the troots are bonnie even if usually a tad small.

caorach

Quote from: burnie on May 10, 2021, 01:32:12 PM
A decent height of water Fred, I've never fished it before June, but have heard tales of better fish showing early on, that's assuming all the poachers haven't eaten them all. I may have a run up there later in the year, it is a lovely place to fish and the troots are bonnie even if usually a tad small.

I think that sometimes small trout can be a big advantage as it really reduces the number of people who want to fish there. The lough in my recent video used to be stocked and at that time was busy but these days there are only a few fishing it, generally "real" anglers there for a day out.

Tomorrow is to be a nice day so might get a day out myself and head for some wee trout :-) With the water so cold it might be hard to get one plus I often find that lochs don't fish well in higher water and we've had quite a bit of rain recently.

Go To Front Page