News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Just another "rogue" gamekeeper?

Started by Wildfisher, May 05, 2021, 06:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emc

Quote from: caorach on May 05, 2021, 07:48:10 PM
Amazing, the dead eagle lying right beside the dead hare. How often does that happen? Ideal photo opportunity though. It is also interesting that the hare is still in one piece. Anything I've seen having been eaten by a raptor has been pulled apart and spread over a goodly area but it looks like this one hare was spotted by one eagle which came down, took one small peck and then fell over dead. No other birds or animals spotted the likely food source and removed it, ripped it apart, or took a small peck themselves and fell over dead. How unusual.

I completely understand your position on protecting raptors Fred and I also accept that, especially in the past, killing raptors was just part of country life and that some of that still goes on. However I completely refuse to believe anything the RSPB report as being true as there have been just too many cases where the details turned out to be manufactured, the frozen red kite that toured the north of Scotland being one example.

It must be kept in mind that the RSPB aren't a conservation charity, they are a big money, big business with a political agenda and the only product they had to sell is fear and doom. We've seen that the SNP are willing to attempt to put their previous leader in jail, think what they'd do to the enemy? And the RSPB are nothing but the airborne regiment of the SNP.

No other scavengers about. Hoodies, ravens, buzzards, the odd fox. Perhaps it was an eagle specific  fast acting poison. Odd.

Inchlaggan

Instantaneously lethal dose? Strange. Organophosphates and carbamates are anti-cholinesterases, they'd take a while. But then, a bird dying from an accumulated or slow-acting dose might not do the decent thing and die on a known grouse moor, it might return to an RSPB reserve and die there. These gamekeepers show apparently show an astounding disregard for these beautiful birds but also seem rather short on on the wit to take some very basic steps to avoid detection.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Fishtales on May 05, 2021, 07:50:15 PM
It must have been very fast acting poison for it to kill the bird still on the kill.

The police appear to be convinced Sandy.

"Police Scotland said forensic examination confirmed the bird had been "illegally and intentionally poisoned"."

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on May 05, 2021, 08:00:45 PM
The police appear to be convinced Sandy.

"Police Scotland said forensic examination confirmed the bird had been "illegally and intentionally poisoned"."

That is not the same thing. I am happy to accept that it had been poisoned but still doubt an all-but instantaneously acting pesticide.
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on May 05, 2021, 08:09:34 PM
but still doubt an all-but instantaneously acting pesticide.

Having read the news article again I can't see any claim made for the use of  instantaneously acting pesticide. We can of course speculate, but it would appear things have already advanced well beyond that point. It's no longer a matter for the RSPB, it's now a criminal investigation  and the estate has already been raided by Police Scotland. They won't fond anything of course, not even the most moronic criminal  is going to hold onto the smoking gun. Of course it may not be anything to do with Invercauld, it could  be someone with a grudge again the conservation organisations. Who knows?

I'd say the longer term outcome is the most important thing.   Will there be a prosecution?  HIGHLY  unlikely. Will there be longer term repercussions? Definitely, it's just more ammo for those who wish to regulate all kinds of field sports - including fishing. With the near certainly of an SNP - Green victory in tomorrow's elections driven grouse estates will be sleeping less easy in their beds after reading this in the papers.

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on May 05, 2021, 08:25:25 PM. With the near certainly of an SNP - Green victory in tomorrow's elections driven grouse estates will be sleeping less easy in their beds after reading this in the papers.
That is exactly why it appeared in the papers- increase the Green vote.
Go."

Laxdale

When I get home I shall pass on what my local vet said about eagle poisonings. All is not as it appears. He investigated after a dead eagle found on Morsgail on Lewis was decared to have been poisoned. The RSPB are a ßhower of lying shites...

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on May 05, 2021, 08:32:54 PM
That is exactly why it appeared in the papers- increase the Green vote.

Might be, but either way it will work. The Greens love 'em or loath 'em (and I am firmly in the second camp) have a track record of  successful  driven grouse moor regulation.  It was the Greens who brought forward the blue hare protection legislation and licensing while the SNP sat, as usual,   obsessing about indyrefs.

tomcatin

Quote from: Laxdale on May 05, 2021, 08:57:51 PM
The RSPB are a ßhower of lying shites...

Really?

You don't normally find Police Scotland and other constabularies the length and breadth of the UK working so closely with "ßhower of lying shites" in prosecuting criminals?
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

tomcatin

In similar news, you may have missed the news that similar muppets in North Wales chose to deliberately cut down, with a chainsaw, the platform supporting an osprey nest containing the pairs first egg on the North Wales Wildlife Trust's Llyn Brenig reserve. The landowner Welsh Water provided platforms to encourage nesting ospreys which were fitted with remote cameras allowing members of the public to watch in their nesting activities.

See https://www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/days-out/ospreys-llyn-brenig

I really do despair, who knows what the motivation for this crime was?

Ospreys don't generally predate red grouse, lambs or children

I just hope that it has nothing to do with angling! 
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Go To Front Page