News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scotland's Sporran Crisis

Started by Wildfisher, May 29, 2021, 03:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I heard a rather alarming report today on BBC Radio Scotland. Scotland's sporran manufacturing is facing an existential crisis.

With both demand and  sporrans slipping, some estimates put numbers of trained native Scots sporran builders at fewer than six.  Clearly the Scottish Government must take urgent action to arrest this catastrophic decline as they did with Prestwick and Ferguson Marine, both being shining examples of how nationalisation really does work.

A  state owned sporran manufacturing plant could be set up at either of these two sites offering both training in the art of sporran manufacture and producing subsidised sporrans that could be offered for sale to tourists  in places like Pitlochry, Blair Castle and the Green Welly in Tyndrum.

Scottish residents could perhaps be encouraged to buy their own sporran; after all, Scots are so used to the Scottish Government having their hands in their wallet, having a hand in their sporran would not be a massive change.

So what do you think?  Does  Scottish Sporranry have a future or does it have the potential longevity of a dead badger?

Bobfly

Not only the hand making of sporrans that is under threat. There is a shortage of hand sewers in kilt making.  :shock: :shock: :shock:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

AND   .........  wait for it!!! .............. 

UEFA has banned bagpipes at all football matches.    :shock:

I see the vile hand of Westminster behind that one!  :lol:

burnie

Quote from: admin on May 29, 2021, 08:27:17 PM
AND   .........  wait for it!!! .............. 

UEFA has banned bagpipes at all football matches.    :shock:

I see the vile hand of Westminster behind that one!  :lol:
Whilst watching a tv program on Friday, a bagpipe maker in the borders(he was of course an Englishman) said that he had a waiting list, but that Scotland was actually the last country to get the pipes, seems it was the English Army that got them popular in the 1700's in the UK, every days a school day.

Bobfly

I remember reading that they came first from India / Pakistan  ??
Adopted here as Scottish like Victorian Highland Dancing and clan tartans !
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page