News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fishing boat

Started by roberth, June 07, 2021, 06:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxdale

What are you wanting the boat for? Sea or freshwater?

roberth

Freshwater on big lochs.

arawa

If you have a bit of time to spare, and the price reflects it, I would not worry too much about condition.These Orkney boats are very robust and fairly easy to repair. I had a Spinner that I lent to one of my brothers and after a season's use it was returned to me with several holes (one that I could put my hand through) and many deep gouges from encounters with rocks. I am not what you would call "handy" but it did not take me long or cost much to repair the boat and it has since done several seasons on a big loch and is still going strong.

roberth

Quote from: arawa on June 08, 2021, 03:26:08 PM
If you have a bit of time to spare, and the price reflects it, I would not worry too much about condition.These Orkney boats are very robust and fairly easy to repair. I had a Spinner that I lent to one of my brothers and after a season's use it was returned to me with several holes (one that I could put my hand through) and many deep gouges from encounters with rocks. I am not what you would call "handy" but it did not take me long or cost much to repair the boat and it has since done several seasons on a big loch and is still going strong.

Thanks, I'm pretty handy so not too concerned over maintenance or repairs. I also have garage space where I can store and work on a boat. The Orkney models seem to hold their value too.

roberth

Another question - Would a 6hp outboard be adequate on a Longliner? The price and weight take a significant jump from 6hp to 8hp.

arawa

Quote from: roberth on June 09, 2021, 10:39:45 PM
Another question - Would a 6hp outboard be adequate on a Longliner? The price and weight take a significant jump from 6hp to 8hp.

Yes 6hp will be plenty. A Longliner is a displacement boat. I used to use a 4hp. You MIGHT find some benefit making headway with a larger engine if you were trying to bash into big waves but you would get very wet in the process!

roberth

Highlander

There not cheap these second hand Orkney Longliner boats but they are first class crafts. The Arran ones whilst clones of the Orkney are usually dearer certainly when new. Is the Spinner not 13 feet as opposed to the 16ft Longliner . If that is the case maybe not so suitable for "Big Lochs"
A 6hp outboard would certainly do at a push but an 8 or 10hp would be better especially if you encounter adverse conditions.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

roberth

Quote from: Highlander on June 10, 2021, 04:14:26 PM
There not cheap these second hand Orkney Longliner boats but they are first class crafts. The Arran ones whilst clones of the Orkney are usually dearer certainly when new. Is the Spinner not 13 feet as opposed to the 16ft Longliner . If that is the case maybe not so suitable for "Big Lochs"
A 6hp outboard would certainly do at a push but an 8 or 10hp would be better especially if you encounter adverse conditions.
Tight Lines

Thanks, I'm going to view a couple of Longliners at the weekend. I'm a bit wary of buying a second hand outboard. The seem to hold their value and many of them aren't much cheaper than new models with warranty.

Highlander

No bother an outboard along with plant machinery is serviced on an "hours run" basis so if you are buying second hand make sure like your car it has documentation to say what is what. If like you say there is not a lot of difference between old & new go for new. That way you will get full manufactures warranty & after sales unlike buying second hand. Good luck whatever you do.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page