News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fishing boat

Started by roberth, June 07, 2021, 06:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubberwellie

That's a nice boat you got there - result! You definitely need a 16ft boat for big lochs, an Orkney Spinner would not be adequate.

Where did you pick it up if you don't mind me asking?

It looks like it's original gelcoat rather than painted so you can be sure that it hasn't been holed then repaired and painted. Also, if it hasn't been painted it means you won't have to repaint it every year.

You might struggle to get a brand new outboard at the moment, I bought a new 9.8hp earlier this year but had ordered it last year and waited over 6 months on it coming into stock. I was considering trading in my more portable 4hp in for a Tohatsu 6hp as Clyde Outboards were advertising them at just over a grand, however they don't have any stock despite them showing as available on the website. You might need to phone round the dealers and see what they have. Bear in mind that the step up from 6hp to 8hp more or less doubles the cost of then engine but you will get a twin cylinder which is a lot quieter than a single, as well as the extra horsepower. Twins are quite a bit heavier but not an issue if you don't plan on lugging it around. 
Let them go.

roberth

Quote from: rubberwellie on July 10, 2021, 08:10:37 PM
That's a nice boat you got there - result! You definitely need a 16ft boat for big lochs, an Orkney Spinner would not be adequate.

Where did you pick it up if you don't mind me asking?

It looks like it's original gelcoat rather than painted so you can be sure that it hasn't been holed then repaired and painted. Also, if it hasn't been painted it means you won't have to repaint it every year.

You might struggle to get a brand new outboard at the moment, I bought a new 9.8hp earlier this year but had ordered it last year and waited over 6 months on it coming into stock. I was considering trading in my more portable 4hp in for a Tohatsu 6hp as Clyde Outboards were advertising them at just over a grand, however they don't have any stock despite them showing as available on the website. You might need to phone round the dealers and see what they have. Bear in mind that the step up from 6hp to 8hp more or less doubles the cost of then engine but you will get a twin cylinder which is a lot quieter than a single, as well as the extra horsepower. Twins are quite a bit heavier but not an issue if you don't plan on lugging it around. 

Hi, I got it from an advert on Facebook Marketplace. The boat is original gel coat and has remote steering and gears. It was bought new and used lightly unless the previous owner died. The trailer needs some maintenance but towed it home no problem. I'm not in a hurry for an outboard so will keep an eye on the marketplace / gumtrees adverts. Clyde Outboards advised to keep away from eBay as they have a steady stream of engines brought in for repair from eBay that are only good for spares.

rubberwellie

You have the right idea. I wouldn't buy an engine without seeing it run first.
Let them go.

roberth

Had the Fastliner out on Loch Earn this afternoon. Boats were off today due to the incoming high winds but we were allowed out to test the boat and engine in the bay at Drummond Boats.

Wildfisher

It looks like a fine craft. Perfect for trolling.  :D

roberth

Not bad for a 1983 model!

Wildfisher

That is remarkable, older than both my sons.   :D

roberth

1 year younger than me but in better condition! It was dry stored for 15 years before I got it and hardly used.

Bobfly

Certainly looks the business !!  How many hp in the motor ?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

roberth

Go To Front Page