News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Early Doors On The River

Started by Wildfisher, June 13, 2021, 03:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Stonepark

Nice to see a few wee decent trout moving in the river, what time did you finish up at?
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

arawa

Interesting video, thanks. Had not realised how much casting is involved fishing rivers.
You are having better weather than up here. Went hillwalking this morning because it was again far too windy to fish. But the ground has dried up a lot making walking much much easier.

Wildfisher

Quote from: stonepark on June 13, 2021, 04:37:59 PM
what time did you finish up at?

About 9.30. I did feel I should have been out an hour earlier though. These banks are getting serious now, chest high nettles and other weeds and getting a safe footing with all the shite the famers dump, old barbed wire, rocks off the fields etc. - it's dangerous and exhausting.

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on June 13, 2021, 04:51:58 PM
Interesting video, thanks. Had not realised how much casting is involved fishing rivers.
You are having better weather than up here. Went hillwalking this morning because it was again far too windy to fish. But the ground has dried up a lot making walking much much easier.

Gale here now too. I was just out for a walk and it was like walking towards a giant fan heater, roasting. I was thinking about going out fishing again this evening, but I think it will be too windy.

Bobfly

Have you tried spiders there Fred?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Now and then Vaughan but when there are not a lot of fish rising I tend to stick to nymphs.

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on June 13, 2021, 04:51:58 PM
Had not realised how much casting is involved fishing rivers.

Only when fishing upstream. It is certainly not a lazy way to fish, for sure, lots of casting and line handling. Like all river trout fly fishers I started with the good old across and down but caught many more fish when I started facing upstream. That said when conditions dictate I do occasionally fish downstream.

This is just  what I do as a trout fisher, others do their own thing.  I can't quite imagine salmon fly fishing upstream - in fact I think it might be banned on some rivers to prevent sniggering. Upstream spinning  was certainly banned on the beats of the Don I used to fish.

Go To Front Page