News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New rival to the NC500

Started by burnie, June 26, 2021, 09:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Oh Joy!

More traffic is exactly what these roads need.

arawa

Just stopped at Bruar on way home. Absolutely rammed (but well organised).
2 mile queue at Perth for the roundabout north, and then nose to tail traffic on the A9.

Bobfly

Start of school holdays !!!!  :roll: :roll:
Very good idea by the Crerar Hotels which will suit plenty Grey Nomads.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

caorach

Quote from: arawa on June 26, 2021, 02:20:11 PM
Just stopped at Bruar on way home. Absolutely rammed (but well organised).
2 mile queue at Perth for the roundabout north, and then nose to tail traffic on the A9.

Part of the reason I went up, and back, when I did was to avoid the more popular holiday periods. However I came down the A9 last Saturday and it was busy heading north, especially down at the south end towards Dunkeld, but very quiet going south. However I left Ullapool at about 0800 so was probably on the road before the majority of travellers would have been hitting it. Even the bit into the land that time forgot, south of Glasgow, went relatively well. However in the afternoon I'm told the A9 was closed both directions at Moy for an accident. It is amazing how it is so variable, and how even a half hour difference in travel time can make a big difference as it looked like if I'd been half an hour earlier then I might not even have seen the north bound traffic.

Wildfisher

Even Arbroath is now overrun with campervans and huge motor homes. Every night there are at least 30 beside Gayfieild football ground and I have little doubt Vicky Park will have another dozen or so. This is no surprise, there are websites dedicated to campervan freeloading - how to get there, how friendly the natives are etc. If the natives are friendly, or at least not too hostile,  more and more come. Arbroath is a friendly enough place but I struggle to see what these people bring to the town in the way of business - perhaps they buy the odd fish supper?

I think what the town needs is a return of some of the characters from my youth;   Hook The Hammer,  HamishThe Heid Splitter, and Mad Mental Maurice The Mauler would have known how to deal with these types. Will Ye No Come Back Again (ever).  :lol:

Laxdale

Could you not organise for some of the military types to do a bit of covert night time work relieving motorhomes of two wheels per white box? Two pints per wheel reward.

Wildfisher

I'm not sure they are up to it. They would probably have to carry out a risk assessment first. Back in the day big Taxi from Condor would have fixed it himself. He got his name after single handedly overturning a taxi whilst stationed in Germany,  a gentle giant until riled. 

Ah those were the days before all this woke / PC shit  when men were real men and campervans were blue and white dormobiles.  :lol:

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on June 26, 2021, 09:50:23 PM
when men were real men and campervans were blue and white dormobiles.
Exactly. And I can prove the point. Late 70's and I am a member of a hillwalking group. So is Duncan. Duncan is in his late fifties, Duncan has already completed the Munros (one of the first 100). Duncan owns a customised dormobile. It has wine, beer and a heater. I like Duncan. We set off up one of Scotland's lumpy bits in the pissing rain. We have a new member of our group, Sarah. Sarah is a young PhD student. Sarah gets very wet, very soon. Sarah is unhappy. Duncan offers to take Sarah back down the hill. Sarah says yes and off they go. Young Sarah and Old Duncan are not up to walking up lumpy bits in the pissing rain like we are. Us hard men get to the top and see feck all. Us hard men come back down and we are very wet and very cold and very thirsty but very hard. I am looking forward to getting to the car park because I am getting a lift in Duncan's Dormobile. Duncan's Dormobile will be warm and have cold beer. I like cold beer. I knock on the door of Duncan's Dormobile but cannot get in. The clever fold-up bed has been folded down because Old Duncan is shagging Young Sarah on it. Duncan is clever.
We can all learn from Duncan.
Dormobiles are a good thing.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

burnie