News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Pink Salmon

Started by Wildfisher, July 18, 2021, 02:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Apparently there are quite a few being caught on The Don, Dee and Esks at the moment.  Any redds been found in Scotland yet?

caorach

Can't answer your question but I'm hearing there are lots being caught on the west of Ireland as well, no idea if that is actually true but it is what i was told.

arawa

Back in 2017 underwater cameras filmed pink salmon spawning in the River Ness. Last week the P&J reported pink salmon being caught in the Ness.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1308442/pink-salmon-invasion-in-river-ness-sparks-fears-for-native-species/

Laxdale

ThThe ghillie and punters were watching them at the end of last week. Left in peace, as no one had any interest in catching one. Seen a picture of a 1.5lb pink off the lower Spey too. Much ado about what is currently a non problem.

Bobfly

They usually move in to spawn only into the lower reaches of rivers, often just a quarter of a mile. Let's hope they keep to that pattern here. Very unlikely that they could be eradicated. How are they for taste? I think the Canadians rate coho.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on July 19, 2021, 01:26:02 PM
How are they for taste?

The ones that come out of the tins are fine. :lol:

Laxdale

Quote from: Laxdale on July 19, 2021, 11:36:44 AM
The ghillie at Murthly on the Tay and punters were watching them at the end of last week. Left in peace, as no one had any interest in catching one. Seen a picture of a 1.5lb pink off the lower Spey too. Much ado about what is currently a non problem.

Alastair

Pink fry hatch and immediately head off to the ocean, so I would think the negative competitive impact on native trout and salmon would be minimal. If they become established they could attract predators which could impact native fish, but otherwise, the decaying flesh provides nutrients to the river systems which would be a benefit.  One other negative, I suppose, you will love the smell of those rotting carcasses because pinks die after spawning.  Here, cutthroat trout feast on the fry during their migration, and I assume browns would do the same thing.  Start stocking up on aelvin patterns, as well as flesh flies.

Bobfly

Is it correct that they go only a short distance up from the tidal zone?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page