News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A Wee Cast At The Backwater

Started by Wildfisher, September 05, 2021, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

caorach

Another good one Fred, but tough conditions.

The drone is useful for getting a look at where the drop off is in the loch and it looks to be pretty close in on that loch.

Wildfisher

Yeah, that opening clip shows how deep the water is just a few feet out.

caorach

Quote from: admin on September 05, 2021, 08:25:02 PM
Yeah, that opening clip shows how deep the water is just a few feet out.

It might be worth staying on the banks when conditions are like that to see if the fish are just cruising along the drop off, a quick bounce along the banks dropping the fly every so often might move something. Even so in conditions like that it is always going to be hard work.

Wildfisher

This loch has not fished well for me for most of the season. It was great in spring, but the summer fishing was tough. Usually it fishes well in August when the heather fly is on the go, but I missed that this year. It may have been better in the evenings, but I'm not a great lover of evening fishing preferring the daytime. I don't know if I'll bother with it next season, it is pricey for what it is and the money might be better spent elsewhere. I bought a season which was £70 and that's a lot for 8 inch trout. True that also gives me access to discounted rainbow fishing on another loch, but I have no interest in that circus. At £15 the day tickets are a nonsense, I'm fishing The Don this week on an £18 day ticket for trout. 

Hill loch gold

Hard going but good video fred.

My local loch fishing has been abysmal this year. I would even go as far as saying it's been as bad a season as i can remember. Near drought conditions all year....an ice cold april/may, followed by spells of red hot weather june/july and some of august. The fishing has been brutal  :(

Wildfisher

Funny thing but that loch I was on seems to fish better when it's a lot lower. This year it has been brim full the whole season.

caorach

Quote from: admin on September 05, 2021, 09:38:53 PM
Funny thing but that loch I was on seems to fish better when it's a lot lower. This year it has been brim full the whole season.

Most lochs seem like that for some reason, no idea why.

I guess £70 isn't too much for a season of fishing when you think that it wouldn't get you an Indian for two and a taxi home these days, but I agree that £15 per day is a bit much for small fish.

My season is just about to start in the sense that I plan to head to Lewis at the weekend, I'm a bit late but it's what I've got.

Wildfisher

Quote from: caorach on September 05, 2021, 10:50:25 PM

Seems to be the case. Members of Lairg AC told me Loch Shin fishes best when it is at its lowest and ugliest

Laxdale

Quote from: caorach on September 05, 2021, 10:50:25 PM

I guess £70 isn't too much for a season of fishing when you think that it wouldn't get you an Indian for two and a taxi home these days, but I agree that £15 per day is a bit much for small fish.

My season is just about to start in the sense that I plan to head to Lewis at the weekend, I'm a bit late but it's what I've got.

Places known to have been netted (and possibly emptied) - Creed, Laxay, Obbe, Grimersta, Carloway and Arnol. Plenty fish in Steinish....or there still were last week but it will be on the hit list. Even if there was a flood (haha), only Barvas will be worth a go. Also had a Carloway Mexican singing like a canary....busy telling me he likes to net Langavat at Dalmore cos trout taste better than salmon.

Go To Front Page