News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Can you legally sleep in a campervan

Started by Wildfisher, January 08, 2022, 04:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Yes, under most circumstances,  but don't have drink or you might lose your license. You don't even have to drive it, it's exactly the same offence as sleeping in a car whilst over the limit! 

Remember too that this guy is an English barrister and the drink drive limit in Scotland is WAY lower than England and Wales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LdGtBna8kI

Bobfly

If you get well pixxed inside the van get out and sleep underneath beside the warm exhaust pipe.  :shock: :shock:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Fishtales

Quote from: Bobfly on January 08, 2022, 05:46:35 PM
If you get well pixxed inside the van get out and sleep underneath beside the warm exhaust pipe.  :shock: :shock:

...and don't have the car keys as you are still in charge of the vehicle.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

superscot

I can mind many years ago after doing 3 days up in the Gobernuisgach estate hill lochs and came of the hills slightly later than we had planned due to of course how the good the fishing had turned out. Well, we decided to stay another night in the car stopping off at Overscaig hotel for a few beers and drams was the plans put in place even thought about pitching the tent which was to happen later on ......Well later on and I mean much later on Alex and I departed the hotel and straight into the car with of course the car started for the heater on....honestly what a couple of fannies if the local police had been out I would have been done all down to being drunk and just plain stupidity will say it was never repeated and waking up with the most dreadful hang over still plays on my mind   

Laxdale

A subject much discussed on the N500 pages, lol.
The SOAC does not include motorised vehicles, so you cannot go onto private property with your campervan/wobblebox to "sleep" without the landowners permission.
There are plenty of places the freeloaders can doss beside the rod legally though.
They call it "wild camping" or "off grid" in their wheeled beds which winds up those suffering the bloody things even more.
I am a mostly silent observer on many of the NC500 pages just to see what the freeloaders are up to.
The worst by far (in my mind) is still the motorhome who set up camp in a northern graveyard and hung up a washing line between two gravestones.
I did not bother looking at the video to see what the entitled dafty in the wobblebox was saying.

superscot

QuoteThe worst by far (in my mind) is still the motorhome who set up camp in a northern graveyard and hung up a washing line between two gravestones.

Thats dreadful

Wildfisher

Quote from: Laxdale on January 08, 2022, 10:42:10 PM
The SOAC does not include motorised vehicles,

Or any powered craft. I'd be very surprised if there was not a test case soon involving e-bikes - they most certainly are powered vehicles.

Laxdale

Just read a cracker - a lorry could not pull in to a layby on the A9 so the driver could get his rest break because a family in a car had parked the car to block the entrance. They had set up camp in the layby.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Laxdale on January 09, 2022, 02:11:54 PM
They had set up camp in the layby.

Wild camping.  :lol:

It's high time Fred's Law was adopted. No camping in tents, bivis  or vehicles allowed within  1KM of any motorable road except for marked and designated sites. This would solve most of the problems at a stroke. Of course it would have to be policed and that's where it all  falls apart. With one cop to serve the entire area from Ullapool to Scourie there is next to zero chance of getting nicked up there for anything.

Bobfly

" very surprised if there was not a test case soon involving e-bikes - they most certainly are powered vehicles."

The regs categorise an electric bike as an electrically assisted pedal cycle and as such an EAPC can go wherever a pedal bike can go. What constitutes an EAPC is fully detailed and limits the power and motor cutoff at 15.5mph.
Given their growing popularity it seems unlikely that they be changed to a vehicle category.
E scooters in towns looks to be more problematic !
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page