News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Commercial Forestry

Started by Wildfisher, July 09, 2022, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

An interesting documentary from about 30 years ago that takes a more balanced look at forestry through a less jaundiced eye.

Well worth a watch and no, it's not just about goshawks.

Quality stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI2c0o3SDKI

burnie

I've seen that before, I knew one of the falconers who provided birds for some of the hunting scenes for this film, I used to fish with him for Pike, he often had them sat behind him when he was fishing. He went on to breed Gyr falcons to sell to rich arabs, lost touch with him years ago, he taught me a lot about birds of prey and got me interested and that's how I ended up flying my falcon.

burnie

Me with my old bird back in the late 1980's
[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Hadn't realised you into the falconry Richard.   :)

Bobfly

One aspect of UK forestry rather than elsewhere is our forest cover renewal from denuded ground and at a very low level in international terms. So, a big scale of new planting rather than replanting of existing harvested cover. Hence large scale open hill cultivation, most for the first time since the last ice age, and on sites which, for timber production, meant conifers of large scale even age. That changes quite quickly with the range of growth rates and time spread of harvesting. What was planted in one year is later harvested over 30 years and the structure is hugely different. The criticism of the large scale even aged period is less now as with a wider range of species and open space grant aided. I remember one planting scheme having grant support reduced because of a carpark viewpoint reducing the planted area and a forest road end turning place was too large !! Planted area and future timber production was paramount at that time.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page