News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Excellent Ourdoors Videos

Started by Wildfisher, October 23, 2022, 09:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Bobfly

I guess it was after calling Coire Gabhail The Hidden Valley eight times or so whilst filming there that he realised it is The Lost Valley and he put the right title to his final video ! A brief read up would have told him the flats are called The Meadow and the exposed house sized part of the huge boulder is simply called The Boulder by way of a joke. It's a great spot and just an hour if that off the road to go up through the enormous boulder choke to the open floor. The main burn runs below the floor except in very wet weather and I've been there when the whole Meadow has been a loch of snow melt and we had to go across the side slopes. Plenty very good classic winter climbs on the crags above the true left bank, some with snow tunnels through routes behind huge jammed boulders in the gullies. Magic place.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Yeah they say the highlanders used to hide their stolen cattle up there. Cattle back then must have had climbing skills not seen in today's bovines  ;D

Bobfly

His video about Harvey maps was good too .... other than the comedian bits. The Harveys in Doune were keen orienteers  and so they were into detail from the start. I have 14 of their maps on the plastic base. Ideal for rain ! They have quite a few at 1:25,000 giving 4x the map area per km square and a lot made in conjunction with the BMC at a scale of 1:40,000 which are location centred rather than the OS so you get all the Lake District nicely on one at a good scale for example. Very professional company.

Wildfisher

I'd never even heard of Harvey maps. They certainly look good

Fishtales

Quote from: admin on October 24, 2022, 02:22:09 PM
I'd never even heard of Harvey maps. They certainly look good

You've been a walker for how long and never heard of Harvey Maps?!!

I must admit I have never used one but I do know of them :)

https://www.harveymaps.co.uk/
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Nope, never heard of them Sandy. Always used OS maps  ;)

Bobfly

The Harvey ones are tailored for climbers and hill walkers so they match very well to a locality and adjust shape and size to suit. So, Ben Nevis is just that and in excellent buttress detail, also the Black Cuillins and similar. The OS are dividing the country by rows of sheet numbers so you are often on edges and overlaps and at a smaller scale. Their 1:25,000 are again by a rigid grid layout not selected. Another good feature from the Harvey stereoscopic interpretation is that they will mark with a dot on a slope where there is a large boulder, and they are right !! Very comforting on the ground.
The OS are mapping the UK and Harvey are making specific user maps.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on October 24, 2022, 08:58:38 PM
The OS are dividing the country by rows of sheet numbers so you are often on edges and overlaps
Yes that can be very annoying.

Go To Front Page