News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A stroll down by the river just before dark.

Started by Wildfisher, November 03, 2022, 07:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanR

Quote from: Hill loch gold on November 05, 2022, 11:34:26 AM
Also what kind of distance do you get with the 1 you have?

You're only "supposed" to fly them at a distance where you can see them. Furthest that I've flown mine is about a mile, with no issues.

Height wise, I regularly fly at 400 feet (maximum permitted).

Ian.

Wildfisher

I never let my drone get out of sight. It's supposed to have a few KM of range but I just don't have the confidence to fly it that far.

Hill loch gold

Some of the drone footage you see is class, no doubt about it.
Will you be taking it to NZ Fred?

Wildfisher

Won't be taking it to NZ Alan, I'm not even sure what the regulations are, but if  other actions of the current neo-communist government there are anything to go by they will likely be very strict. To be honest it's just not practical anyway :)

Yarrowsmith

Working at Noss lighthouse last year and all of a sudden people started turning up - orca's - one bloke had a drone and he flew it from the cliff to the orca's. I could not make out the drone, it was at a guess maybe 3/4 mile. Not sure about the ethics of it?

Wildfisher

A few years ago there was a humpback whale just offshore from St Cyrus and it was clearly visible from the beach for days. A bunch of idiots in microlight planes came from the direction of Montrose and headed out to the whale. I'm not sure about the legality of it but I would not have  done it, or flown a drone out.

Crawhin

I've had a couple of negative drone encounters over recent years when sea cliff climbing in England-shire in spots visible from the coastal path. Couple of years back an operator decided that they would fly it in v close (under 10m) to me when I was mid-crux half way up a pitch. No permission, fecking annoying and potentially dangerous. No doubt they found my gesticulating and choice language absolutely hilarious.  Even worse was the person flying one in early summer this year in N Devon.  It was being continuously mobbed by a pair of obviously very distressed sea birds. Instead of bringing the drone back, the operator kept it there for several minutes and repeatedly sent it back to that spot producing the same reaction each time.  In both occasions, if I could have got to the pilot, they would have got some choice words and or/been reported.   

These guys I guess are the minority of complete toss-wits who really need to have their machines inserted side-ways where the sun doesn't shine. But that's just society in general I guess - there are always some cretins and with drones being trendy kit but unregulated that's probably going to be exacerbated. 

BTW - nice looking bit of river there Fred. :-)

Ian

Wildfisher

Quote from: Crawhin on November 06, 2022, 07:30:15 PM
But that's just society in general I guess - there are always some cretins and with drones being trendy kit but unregulated that's probably going to be exacerbated. 

They are actually VERY strictly regulated  by the CAA  Ian,  but eejits are eejits no matter what the law is  :(

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/

Only small toys are exempt and ANY drone with a camera, irrespective of size and weight, is not a toy.

Go To Front Page