News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Excellent Programme

Started by Wildfisher, November 08, 2022, 01:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

All about Scottish salmon. Narrated by the ever excellent Peter Capaldi and some stunning drone footage.

Nice to see so many places I know well and to see how spectacular Mr MFI's rewilding is going at Alladale

Largely a waste of time though. Nothing significant will change in our lifetimes, attitudes are too deeply entrenched in the past  in Scotland.

https://www.channel5.com/show/riverwoods-a-salmon-s-journey

Bobfly

Strongly promoted by the Woodland Trust and others to have more tree cover where they can grow. Well compiled programme being repeated quite often which is welcome.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

I'm sure there is a lot in this. The North Esk stocks hold up very well and it is heavily wooded right up to Loch Lee. Glen Esk is very unusual with its vast riparian tree cover and has lots of fish.

Bobfly

Most salmonid rivers in northern latitudes have fairly heavy woodland cover, much of it conifer. Leaf input giving organic starter matter for beasties and buffering of fluctuations in flow rate.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Laxdale

Not my words, but they sum the propaganda piece very well - "Having watched the Riverwoods film, I am afraid I can't share your enthusiasm. In my opinion, it is full of inaccuracies and appears driven, primarily, by a re wilding agenda.

It starts by showing a Scottish highland valley, a river and no trees, it then implies that the salmon numbers are in trouble because of the lack of trees. The narrator then explains that the salmon are essential for the survival of the forest and the two are intrinsically linked. Certainly true in Alaska with their Pacific salmon but not here with Atlantics. The film then switched to an Alaskan wilderness and a river, red with pacific salmon. It implies that that could be the same here. Again the narrator emphasises the link between the salmon and the trees. They state that the salmon carcasses supply the essential nutrients required for the trees survival. Certainly true in Alaska, where all the salmon die after spawning. They seemed to have totally missed the point, that Atlantic salmon head back to sea after spawning and any that do die, mostly do so, many miles downstream from their spawning grounds.

Not surprisingly, there was also a big push for reintroducing beavers and lynx. Also, the implication was that the landscape has been created for grouse shooting and salmon were suffering as a result.

To me, the way the whole presentation came across, was that the re wilders were just using the status of Atlantic salmon as a means to try and promote their agenda.

I am certainly not opposed to the right trees being planted in the right areas. That could certainly help improve habitat for young fish, while also help mitigate rising water temperatures. However, they also seem to have missed the fact that the high numbers of salmon recorded in the past, occurred when these same areas, were actually devoid of trees then too.

Certainly worth a watch, it's well made, but just remember to switch on the B... S...t filter. Sadly, the average urban dwelling viewer, will take it all as gospel and probably believe every word".
Those pushing the BS have no answers to why the likes of treeless Grimersta, Thurso, etc are doing well.
It is sad that so many fisheries managers are chasing the money and talking about saving salmon from extinction as opposed to getting on with their jobs and working to put a harvestable surplus of salmon in rivers.

Wildfisher

I think the biggest problem may be that apart from a few  sporting interests and a small minority of anglers no one gives a toss about salmon. Unless of course it comes pre-prepared in a Styrofoam tray and is cheap to buy.  ;D

Anyway, Nicola is busy right now trying to raise millions from Scottish taxpayers  to send to Pakistan to assist their nuclear weapons programme - oops sorry slip of the tongue - I meant for climate reparations! 

I'm afraid that's the reality.

Go To Front Page