News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Local River Approaching Record High

Started by Wildfisher, November 18, 2022, 12:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I'd like to get photos but sod going out in that  ;D

[attachimg=1]

caorach

Get your waders on and get out there :-)

I'm in Belfast at the minute and it looks like most of it missed us. Amazing how places that are really quite close can have such different conditions.

Laxdale

Just in after a day in the trees at Garynahine working the dogs. Not a dry stitch on me by finishing time. Big numbers of woodcock made it over the North Sea this year.

Wildfisher

We have had easterly gales for days, probably helped the woodcock on their way

Wildfisher

River still in the fields and on the roads but seems it have peaked at 25mm below the record set on 23/12/2012. It really is quite incredible to see such a small, placid trout stream turn into a raging monster. I guess a lot of trout redds will  have been destroyed, the salmon should be OK as they spawn much later.

Hill loch gold

A huge water like that will more than likely alter the river as well Fred.

Wildfisher

For sure Alan. The soil here is very sandy and floods readily cut through the banks.

It's still raining albeit lighter now. I heard on the radio that a woman is missing after being swept away in The Don.

Wildfisher

The peak levels are one thing but the real damage is in the overall energy that you see in the area under the curve.

This is it now.

[attachimg=1]

caorach

The river's been there a long time Fred, my guess is that it won't go away any time soon. I always remember going to Dulsie on the Findhorn and noting that the river came up to the bridge during the Muckle Spate. I guess maybe it created a few new pools, and maybe a few old ones vanished, but that just turns the fishing into more of an adventure.

Wildfisher

The biggest damage these massive spates do seems to be washing out the invertebrates. I'd expect fly hatches will be sparse next season as happened in 2013 after the massive December 2012 spate.

Go To Front Page