News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Travelling And Fishing Abroad

Started by Wildfisher, January 12, 2023, 02:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

These "packages" do tend to be very expensive especially if there is a fancy lodge involved. But prices post-covid have gone through the roof everywhere. In 2018 our return flights to NZ were about £1500 each and had been around that for 10 years. This time they are £2500 each. In total I reckon this trip will cost me at least £6000 and we won't be hiring guides. That's for 5 weeks though, staying in hotels and rented accommodation  and per week it's probably less than a weeks sprat hunting at the likes of Scourie.

Scozzie

I fished quite a bit in Tassie highlands size of fish was unreal first day I had 3 fish over 3 lb with some little traditional Scottish patterns moved up a couple of sizes and result was a lot of nervousness sometimes I thought someone had throw a washing machine in behind my flies best fish was 11 lb but turned a few bigger beasts all wild fish and so beautiful fished a lot in nz as well but no where like tassie my opinion

Wildfisher

Quote from: Laxdale on January 13, 2023, 07:00:18 PM
https://www.inatur.no/sok/innlandsfisketilbud

Looks interesting as does Iceland. That said Scandinavian prices have always been high, although post-NC500 Scotland does appear to be catching up! The thing that always put me off Iceland was the atrocious weather. Scotland is on the shit weather side of the jet stream a lot but not as often as Iceland. I remember 10 years or so ago Bruce Sandison had a great trip there catching big sea run char

Wildfisher

Quote from: Scozzie on January 13, 2023, 07:54:34 PM
I fished quite a bit in Tassie highlands size of fish was unreal first day I had 3 fish over 3 lb with some little traditional Scottish patterns moved up a couple of sizes and result was a lot of nervousness sometimes I thought someone had throw a washing machine in behind my flies best fish was 11 lb but turned a few bigger beasts all wild fish and so beautiful fished a lot in nz as well but no where like tassie my opinion

Yes, have read great things about it. NZ's original trout came from Tasmania, so it's been an established fishery for a long time.

johnny boy

QuoteIceland, however, is welcoming the new refugee anglers and has increased prices accordingly.
eg, I seen an advert earlier today for two September weeks fishing for black sea trout (world class fishing apparently  ;D) at a mere £9.8K per angler per week. Most of the fishing was on Tungaflot (sp) which used to be very cheap by Icelandic standards.

We had a family holiday booked for Iceland the summer Covid hit, I had managed to book a car to roam around looking for Char and Trout,  was given some great tips here so was keeping fishing costs to a minimum.

Not managed to rearrange it yet, some day maybe 🤔

Wildfisher

That's a real shame John, covid destroyed so much. You will get there if you really want to.

Where can you fly from in Scotland to reach Iceland?

Fishtales

Glasgow for under £200 pounds it seems :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

arawa

Quote from: admin on January 15, 2023, 04:47:20 PM
That's not bad at all Sandy
A (non-fishing) friend who spent some time in Iceland said he thought Norway was expensive until he visited Iceland ::)

Go To Front Page