News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Travelling And Fishing Abroad

Started by Wildfisher, January 12, 2023, 02:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Quote from: zeolite on January 20, 2023, 11:51:40 PMErr

Apart from Scotland

Epic troots of various types in Wyoming USA. The best trout fishing I have ever had the pleasure of. rainbow, brown and cutthroat. I did a little salt water fishing in Texas which is supposed to have excellent "sea trout" and redfish but all I got was catfish and a flounder.

Couple of casts in Singapore but not really with any hope.

Here in SW Norway where the trout fishing is excellent and some good salmon fishing.

Hardhead catfish (Arius felis) by any chance? I've probably caught 350 to 400 of these things over the years. They're the most annoying fish species on earth. The first one I ever caught thrashed about a lot when I went to unhook it. As a result it's dorsal spine stuck in my finger. Shortly afterwards I started to feel sick and I knew there was something wrong.

A quick google search confirmed my suspicions. These catfish have a toxic slime on their dorsal and pectoral spines and I realised I'd been envenomated.

The spotted 'sea trout' you mention are a lot of fun on the fly and make really good eating too. I've caught a few reds but only when using live shrimp, never on the fly. :)

Go To Front Page