News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do You Want To Save The Forum?

Started by Wildfisher, April 23, 2023, 11:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do we do with the forum?

Upgrade it and keep it open
36 (100%)
Dump it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: April 30, 2023, 11:21:37 AM

Wildfisher

Activity seems to have increased a bit as we approach D-Day (destruction day)

Most are pretty downbeat about losing this vast archive, the most common reason for the lack of activity being the creaky old software which is years behind FB, FFF etc.  Posting images from mobile devices especially is a total nightmare.

So here is the deal and your chance to save it. Make your choice in the poll. Do we upgrade and try it or just kill it?  It's up to you. Of course there is no point in saving it unless it gets more use – that's also up to you. It is a horrible phrase, but it holds true  nonetheless  - it's your forum so - "use it or lose it".

In the meantime the backroom staff will have a look at the newest version of the forum software and see if it does what we need it to do.

The poll will close in 7 days

IanR

I was hoping to post numerous successful  :) reports for an upcoming four or five week trip to the NW Highlands, Orkney, etc., in June/July, so I've voted to keep it   :)

burnie

I think it would be a shame to lose it, as soon as I am fit enough I'll do some posting Fred, better let us know what the cast will be so we can chip in.

Wildfisher

The initial tests of the new software are encouraging. Uploading images is much easier especially from phones. All resizing etc is automatic and not only as easy as FB but much more flexible regarding how you want the page to look. Well impressed!  :)

Crawhin

Definitely up for keeping the forum alive if the software can be made to work. And as I'm back in the UK for next few years I'd hope to do a bit more posting of trip reports and other posts myself. But we'll clearly need to get some new blood in with new members to make it viable going forward. Sounds positive though  :)

Wildfisher

Sandy and I are currently playing with a test install of the new software Ian. It looks a lot more user friendly with many of the features this version lacked and required me to modify the source code. That made applying security updates a nightmare. I just hope we can migrate all the topics and posts without losing too much.

arawa

Voted "yes" and happy to contribute to any costs.

scoobyscott

I would like it kept. Was just casually dropping in and out from time to time taking it for granted. Dont like the thought if it not being there

Hoolet

Me too,
Terrible at posting but can do better, also happy to help with costs, we've a vast reservoir of knowledge here.

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

SoldierPmr

Another one for being guilty of lurking and not posting. I just don't get as much fishing done now. (Still to go out this season). I was also aware that I keep posting on the same waters. I'm hoping to get a bit more fishing and reports  done in the warmer months in some of the Brecon reservoirs.

Go To Front Page