News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beginning of the end for overseas anglers in NZ

Started by Wildfisher, May 23, 2023, 09:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

New rules will restrict non-resident anglers in certain areas of NZ. All the best areas. So if you always intended to have a fishing holiday there it may already be too late. I certainly would not go there once this is in place.

https://newsletter.fishandgame.org.nz/t/y-DD88CE46454D911D2540EF23F30FEDED

https://www.flyfishingforum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1257

sagecirca

I wonder if that will be similar to the 'no-kill' sector on the San river, Polond whereby the licence for the stretch is fairly expensive. An expense that the locals never pay but the tourists will and then think they are getting some premium beats to fish. That, it turns out, is quite the opposite. The rest of the river is/was just as good with a much lower cost!

Wildfisher

The great attraction of NZ for many visiting anglers is the flexibility of the license system. As long as you avoided the honeypot trophy waters like the upper Oreti it worked fine. This new system classifies the Mataura above the Waikaia confluence as a DW (a designated water). This is hard to understand. Last February when we were there staying at Balfour for 10 days (we were fishing in NZ  for 5 weeks) the issue was not too many anglers (we never met anyone fishing on the stretch from Ardlusa to Cattle Flat) rather the lack of access over private land, farmers having closed many of the accesses we used to use. So we were left with,  say an 8 mile stretch of river with one access at either end. I'd put money on the river 4 miles in being seldom  if ever fished now.

I have visited NZ 7 times from Scotland since 2009, spent a small fortune on accommodation, fuel, food and Speights whilst there!  I even responded to the appeal and sent F&G money to support the under-financial-strain system during Covid. Don't be surprised if some of us feel like we have just  been kicked in the balls by F&G.

Frankly, I go to Southland for The Mataura, if that is cut off there is no point in going there no matter how good the other waters are. And is this just the thin end of the wedge?

Cards on the table here, during this last trip I suffered due to age and health, I'm getting too old! I very likely would not be travelling to NZ again anyhow. That does not make this kick in the testicles painless though.

arawa

I have visited NZ 3 times but not for 10 years and each trip was quite far apart. The first visit I absolutely loved everything about it. The second I really liked everything. The third I was surprised how much had changed not necessarily for the better.
I have a niece who has lived in Christchurch for 10 years who is desperate to return to the UK asap. My friend's daughter and her family (husband a well qualified and paid native NZ) have just moved here because they find NZ so expensive and bureaucratic.
Everywhere changes. Look at our landscape and wind farms.

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on May 23, 2023, 06:34:09 PMthey find NZ so expensive and bureaucratic.

It is certainly that. This last trip was my last, mainly because I'm not as fit as I was but also the cost is now gone stratospheric. My Kiwi mates lament the day the woke far left bureaucrat Ardern took office. 

Jon

I clicked on the link and started reading. I found it interesting but eventually wondered where the regular nut jobs were and why they were not derailing the thread. Then I realised it wasn't FFF but in fact an NZ forum!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Wildfisher

Exactly Jon it's so civilised, a bit like this forum.  No infantile squabbles or bullying there either. Gosh it looks like these Kiwis actually go fishing now and then.  ;)   

Go To Front Page