News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Getting Low

Started by Wildfisher, May 30, 2023, 12:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagecirca

I think it is a very hard justification to make to yourself if you are still venturing out in thees current conditions. The rivers I fish are on their arse and I haven't been out for over a week. With no rain forecast until 10-14 days away I am missing the best of the season!

Wildfisher

Very true David. I like to have the odd day for trout on the upper North Esk but right now it's just too low really. Better heading for a loch I think.

east wind

Quote from: sagecirca on June 02, 2023, 04:36:37 PMI think it is a very hard justification to make to yourself if you are still venturing out in thees current conditions. The rivers I fish are on their arse and I haven't been out for over a week. With no rain forecast until 10-14 days away I am missing the best of the season!

Concerning over the last few years how quickly the rivers drop to such a desperate state. Last season I more or less wrapped the fishing by June as well. No fun going after struggling fish.
Even the night fishing is hit or miss as temperatures drop and winds don't.
This season has been a bit of a blur as I got out as much as I could, perhaps because I had that nagging feeling of take it while you can. It has been by no means relaxing in the cauld and wind, but I had some moments and lost almost a stone in weight trying to find feeding trout.

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

burnie

There's some Sea Trout running, they will swim in a puddle, if you have access to a beat, preferably in the dark.

Sean Freeman

Fortunate to fish a few spring fed rivers down here so flows and temps are good on them, my local trophy trout rivers will be warm and the fish stressed though so that's me done on them until we get rain. Once June passes though they're pretty pants until mid September anyway.

Wildfisher

It's bad enough for trout anglers, but we can fish in a million places. Spare a thought for the suckers who have booked "prime" salmon beats and face yet another season of high bills, low water and no fish.

Laxdale

The guys on the big money beats are not fussed about the cost. The rest of us know the risks involved, whether it being flooded off or being faced with low, empty water.

east wind

Thinking back. Last season on it's bones by June and never recovered. Year before, Covid, finally allowed to go for a walk by those in power early June, best of the season over by then.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Interesting that SEPA report our local river level is still within "normal" parameters and not "low".

The endless sunless days and very low night temps mean the water is also still quite cold. So while the fishing will be difficult it's still safe for the fish - or at least as safe as it can be if you are sticking hooks in them.

The east coast has had a very cold and sunless spring, but how long before the river is no longer safe to fish without rain is anyone's guess.

Wildfisher

Just back from the river. Just a walk, a look and flying the drone. Measured the water temp - 14*C in the shallow margins, deeper water will be lower . Perfectly fine for fishing.  8)

Go To Front Page