News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trainspotting

Started by burnie, July 03, 2023, 07:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnie

Click on the image sound too
The Flying Scotsman by tigerburnie, on Flickr

Fishtales

Why is there a diesel on the back? When I was young I remember seeing the Mallard heading for Edinburgh as it passed Hillend Reservoir in Caldercruix :) I was a trainspotter at the time and I can remember a lot  of named trains, steam and diesel, passing through the Central Station in Coatbridge pulling the Caledonian sleeper :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

tomcatin

Quote from: Fishtales on July 03, 2023, 07:29:02 PMWhy is there a diesel on the back?

I believe Network Rail insist when steam excursions are on the mainline that a backup diesel locomotive is added to the rear. I think this was in response to a few incidents were steam locos had mechanical failures causing massive disruption to the network.

Quote from: Fishtales on July 03, 2023, 07:29:02 PMWhen I was young I remember seeing the Mallard heading for Edinburgh as it passed Hillend Reservoir in Caldercruix :) I was a trainspotter at the time and I can remember a lot  of named trains, steam and diesel, passing through the Central Station in Coatbridge pulling the Caledonian sleeper :)

I am just too young to remember steam days properly, though I do remember being taken to the end of the street by my dad to see one of the last steam hauled passenger service between Leeds and York. I don't remember any detail though. It was still a common site right up to the early 80's, to see steam workings at the local pits and on their spoil heaps. Nearest pit to home Peckfield Colliery had an immaculately maintained pug which worked the yard pretty much till closure around 1981.

Went and watched the Flying Scotsman tonight come through Dunning ....... amazing number of people gathering at every bridge. Quite a sight!
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

burnie

Quote from: Fishtales on July 03, 2023, 07:29:02 PMWhy is there a diesel on the back? When I was young I remember seeing the Mallard heading for Edinburgh as it passed Hillend Reservoir in Caldercruix :) I was a trainspotter at the time and I can remember a lot  of named trains, steam and diesel, passing through the Central Station in Coatbridge pulling the Caledonian sleeper :)
The diesel also provides electrickery and in winter heating to some of the steam hauled trains as not all engines have generators fitted.

burnie

There will be another steam hauled train travelling from Edinburgh to Aberdeen on Thursday 27th July, this should have been hauled by Tornado, but that is still being overhauled, so an unknown steam loco will haul it.

Go To Front Page