News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

reel big decisions

Started by corsican dave, October 26, 2014, 08:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

I've just acquired a sage tcx #6wt. beautiful rod, very powerful and very light. my normal (only... :roll:) standard reel, an okuma airframe, just feels clumpy and horrible on it.

what i'm looking for is a quality reel with a sealed drag that will balance the rod, preferably capable of taking a 6/7 wf floater with a minimum of 100m backing. I don't mind spending a bit of money (£250 tops?), but ideally i'd like to be able to afford a couple of spare spools. I thought about cartridge models, but they all seem quite heavy to my way of thinking? I also looked at some mid-upper end large arbor contenders (orvis hydros, lamson litespeed etc) but these all look and feel massive.

currently i'm veering towards the orvis access; light weight, good capacity, reasonable price, not too bulky.

your thoughts, folks?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

I can't see past Vosseler reels. Absolute top quality German engineering, solid and well built.   The Mercedes  of fly reels.

Wildfisher

Whatever you buy I'd avoid die-cast metal reel bodies and spools like the plague.

Part-time

For once I can comment on tackle bling :)

The only that I own is a Lamson Velocity 2 I was lucky enough to receive for my 40th. Very light, small size yet supposed to take a #6 line and 100m backing. I like it a lot. Spare spools are a hell of a price though and others may well be able to suggest similar spec at better prices. You're welcome to try it out if you want.

haresear

I have a number of Lamson LS2 reels and spools. They have a great drag and good capacity BUT .....

A couple of years ago I noticed that the pillar was wearing due to my bad habit of stripping line over the pillar when lengthening line. All but one of my 5 LS2s are now badly grooved to the extent that I can no longer use them for fear of damaging the fly line. I actually managed to cut a fly line in half a couple of years ago and that is what drew my attention to the problem, which admittedly is down to my bad habit.

I have since switched to the same reel Fred uses, the Vosseller DC2. The pillar is set in such a way that the line will not run across it.
My only complaint is that the backing capacity is nothing like stated. I am going to load the spools with Fireline or similar low diameter braid to maximise the capacity.

I don't know the Orvis reel Dave, so can't comment.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Joe bought another Lamson model, not the lightspeed and told me it was a pretty poor, fragile construction.

garryh

ive got the orvis access III.bar stock ,really light ,great reel ,good drag .very good reel for the money .just bought a spare spool from fishtec ,best price around at the moment.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

corsican dave

Quote from: guest on October 26, 2014, 08:53:19 AM
Orvis Access is a great wee reel - I have the  III and IV versions - I'd suggest the III to keep it light and maybe you should be also asking the question 'when will I ever need 100m of backing'?
glad to hear some thumbs-ups for the access. as for 100m: well, the barbel & carp are close-ish.....! hopefully closer still if I ever hook a big one  :8) Access III looks like the leader so far Garry & Andy  :D

i'll check out the vosseler too, if I can find a stockist. having played around with a few models locally, i'm definitely NOT going to buy unseen!

cheers to everyone for their input, very much appreciated.  :cheers;

keep the comments coming, btw. I won't be buying for a while yet!

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Robbie

I have a Danielsson reel, think it might be the nymph, very well put together reel. I believe it is in your price range, had mine about five or six years now and never had a problem with it.

Highlander

I am probably not the best to advise as I use mainly older reels like Youngs Beaudex & Pridex. Probably in the minority but I like a heavy reel.having said that I have looked at & tried the Vosseler & if I was going to buy a modern reel then that is the one I might pick.
From your price bracket you have numerous ones to choose from so good luck. I would not buy one on just peoples recommendations you should really go & have a look. Somewhere like GAC have a vast range to choose from.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page