News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Patterns using magpie

Started by Ptinid, July 02, 2007, 10:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptinid

I have come into possession of some magpie wings and bits of belly and back. Lovely feathers, wings and back are iridescent, belly white, fine fibred feathers.

I have some ideas for them, but wondered if anybody has come across patterns that call for these feathers?
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Dougie Smith

I'm pretty sure that W.C. Stewart talks about hackles from a magpie for use in spider patterns. I think that he mentions starlings and magpies. If you have feathers that could be used for a hackle, I'm sure that they'd be effective on a spider.

Clan Chief

Here is a fly i tied at the end of last season . Recommended by Piscatus. I have had decent success with it.

size.      10
thread.       black
body.        peacock herl
tail.        red game fibres
rib .     silver wire
wing.        Magpie tail
hackle.       Black cock

or view it here in my virtual fly box........http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2754.0

Ptinid

Thanks to all. I'll tie some of these, and maybe a few of my own ideas. Let you know  :)
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Dougie Smith

I looked through WC Stewarts "A Practical Angler" last night and found that I was wrong, he doesn't mention magpie at all. Starling is highly recommended but not magpie. I also looked through a booklet on spiders written by Malcolm Greenhaugh (sp?) and the only mention of magpie is the herl from the tail feathers being used on the body.

Ptinid

Interesting that, for a 'pest bird' that can be 'dealt with', there are so few patterns using anything except tail. Maybe there's a reason? Well, I'll find out when I try it out.  :?

.D.

Quote from: Ptinid on July 05, 2007, 09:58:16 PM
Interesting that, for a 'pest bird' that can be 'dealt with', there are so few patterns using anything except tail. Maybe there's a reason? Well, I'll find out when I try it out.  :?

If there is, I doubt if it's a good one :think2 :wink:

I use the black back hackles for any hackled wet that calls for a black hackle. They're very soft 8)

Cheers,

.D.

(PS- I think the tail herl was also popular for some of the old spider patterns - wound on  as a head in front of the hackle)

.D.

Here's a Dark Watchett using a small Magpie undercovert for the hackle ( rather than, say Jackdaw).
Kind of thing I tend to use Magpie for.

Cheers,

.D.

Go To Front Page