News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Book

Started by Brian Mcg, April 08, 2011, 11:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

Just finished Charles Ritz: A Fly Fishers  Life,again. Was that man ahead of his time? I don't mean with tackle etc I mean with his thinking.
And has much changed ? IMO no,only we have made it more complicated.

Brian

haresear

Quoteyip, hotelier, international playboy, and fly fishing addict, now thats style, how come todays fly fishing dudes are less colourful?

I don't know about that. I was speaking to "a guy" tonight for about 20 minutes on the phone, when he revealed that he was sitting beside a diesel pump talking about fly hatching temperatures and the like, as you do and there was a huge queue waiting behind him. Next thing I heard a female voice giving it " what do you think you are doing sitting there on the phone?....mega queue behind you...."

Sound familiar Alan? :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on April 08, 2011, 11:54:12 PM
how come todays fly fishing dudes are less colourful?

What about Stan? He is conversational and quite colourful, for a Fifer anyway.   Charles Ritz never appeared on Mastermind did he?

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on April 09, 2011, 12:08:33 AM
I don't know about that. I was speaking to "a guy" tonight for about 20 minutes on the phone,

Only 20 minutes?  Obviously the man is an amateur. I have seen me on stuck on the phone having my ear bent for what seemed like days.  On  more than one occasion I actually put the phone down and went off to make a cup of tea; on my return the conservation was still going strong.  :shock:

Come on Alan, you'll have to raise your game a fair bit to reach that standard.    :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on April 09, 2011, 11:09:15 PM
there appeared to be a que forming, grounds for a nevous breakdown in a petrol station apparently,

strange thing happened on the way up the motorway from the clyde today, pulled alongside this guy trying to attract his attention, then pulled in front of him with hazard lights on, then slowed down as we went off the slip road, waved etc, he didnt appear to see a thing,

ring any bells Alex :lol:

did you try phoning him?    :lol:

haresear

Quotestrange thing happened on the way up the motorway from the clyde today, pulled alongside this guy trying to attract his attention, then pulled in front of him with hazard lights on, then slowed down as we went off the slip road, waved etc, he didnt appear to see a thing,

ring any bells Alex Laughing

Nope :shock: I must have been trying to get to grips mentally with the Ritz storm cast :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on April 09, 2011, 11:20:47 PM
i dont think phoning alex would have been a good idea

You are right. A member here told me that endless soul destroying phone calls were a major factor in Bob Wyatt quitting Scotland and  adopting the antipodean life. Don't drive  Alex away, he's a good mate.  :lol:

whinging pom

Sorry to drag the discusion back to Ritz, but theres some lovely descriptions of him in Frank Sawyers, Man of the Riverside.
The international playboy stayed at his very basic keepers cottage by the Avon and make himself totaly at home, charming Mrs Sawyer with a kiss and christening her Madame Escoffier, the master chef. Then get Sawyer's over to the Ritz in Paris every year to repay the favour.
He sounds like a great character who searched out the best techniques in fly fishing in his age. Brians posting reminds me that I must read that book as well.

Go To Front Page