News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hypocritical Lamentations

Started by Wildfisher, October 03, 2015, 01:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I'm reading a book right now about some guy's self propelled winter round of all Scotland's 1000 meter peaks.

Nothing wrong with that and not a bad read, but again what strikes me is the Hamish Brown-esque lamentations of how busy the hills are these days, yet being perfectly happy to further promote them in a book that he makes money out of selling!

Seems to me that the Wild Fishing Forum ethic of just going out there, enjoying your day yet keeping one's stupid trap shut about it out-with your own trusted group might be well adopted by the more genuinely concerned.

Elitist? Perhaps it is, but in that case it's an elitist club of which I am proud to be a member and will do my damnedest to make sure it stays that way no matter who it pisses off! 

Fishtales

I don't find the publishing of the books etc. that much of a concern. What does concern me is the fact that a lot of them make it sound so romantic and inviting. It makes people who never frequent the hills think it is easy and then you end up with more and more people going but who don't have a clue about the dangers. I see it a lot on the other forum and see it as my job to set them right by pointing out all the dangers and the things that could and will go wrong. Hopefully it makes them stop and think before jumping in with both feet.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on October 03, 2015, 01:31:01 PM
Elitist? Perhaps it is, but in that case it's an elitist club of which I am proud to be a member and will do my damnedest to make sure it stays that way no matter who it pisses off!
Yep. and thanks for founding the club  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: Fishtales on October 03, 2015, 02:16:19 PM
I don't find the publishing of the books etc. that much of a concern.

Nor I, in fact I often enjoy them. What does get me is the double standard of "concern" about the crowds, erosion etc yet being perfectly happy to add to it in order to sell a book.

tomsampson

Just read 'The Living Mountain' and forget the rest.

Bobfly

I suppose stories of exploration and adventure date back centuries ... but they had no complaints about crowds in them  :shock:
Nothing too much new in this book either by the sound of it when Martin Moran wrote years back about his winter Munro round. As it happened, by chance, I just managed to be in the first 500 to complete but there are indeed thousands since. That said, I do not find the hills significantly more busy than in years gone by  ---  but the sales of "outdoor gear" are up exponentially !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: tomsampson on October 04, 2015, 01:08:45 PM
Just read 'The Living Mountain' and forget the rest.

A good read. A different perspective. Best consumed in small chunks.

Go To Front Page