News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Practice...

Started by Havtafish, April 29, 2006, 06:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Havtafish

Try openening up your loop a wee bit. I do this with a small semicircle (D)motion with the arm. Small though by the time it gets to the rod tip its big enough to open it up. Dont know if this is correct casting technique but works for me.

Fishtales

Swithun

As you start the backcast try and lift the line up and throw it high behind you . It sounds as though you are pulling the line along the ground/water towards you and it is coming past you at eye level. When you get the line to go back wait till you feel it trying to pull itself through the fingers of the non rod hand, that is the time to start the forward cast, slowly at first then speed up and pull down on the line with the non rod hand. When the line is unrolling in front of you don't let the line go, and keep it taught, till you feel it trying to pull itself from your fingers, then let it go. Aim for the tops of the trees on the horizon rather than in front of you. easier to show than describe :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Bob Wyatt

Swithun,
If you remember that the line will follow the path of the rod tip, it helps. This may seem self-evident, but usually the rod tip is brought too far back and the line will follow it down in a deep dip.  By the time you get it moving forward again, it has hit the ground or snagged a bush.

Trying to send the backcast straight up is a good exercise.

haresear

SWithun,

If you have access to a camcorder, or whatever they are called these days, it can be help to set it up to get a side view of yor casting.

This will show the true arc and not what you think you are doing.

Likewise, if "circling" with the rod tip is a problem for anyone (it is for me), a video shot from front/behind will show this up. If you know what is wrong, you can at least work on fixing it.
Protect the edge.

Havtafish

Allan

This is why I was thinking of some tuition. Get all these wee things straightened oot. I guess my so so casting is a product of Dads teaching mixed with the self taught method. Good to have somebody who knows what to look for in a good cast watching you. BUT its hard to break bad habits as I had to pass my driving test after 18 yrs of driving and found that quite difficult. Doable but it takes some work The majority of my fishing has always been short lining. Those coils you mentioned I ken them well  :x Im not to bad on accuracy. I think Ive got most of the basics down. Well I should after this many years anyway. Ive talked to some people who have to much pride to go for tuition. The way I look at it is if Tiger Woods does then nobody should be too proud(sorry to mention golf BTW) How much does tuition dent the wallet these days? To end I would say that Bob is absolutely right with good casting = enjoyment and more fish.

Bob Wyatt

Swithun,

Just take it a little easier.  Work out short casts, don't go for distance.  

Don't break your wrist.  Keep your elbow down and the rod hand fairly close to your shoulder.

Try to bend the rod, don't just wave it.

Stop the rod sharply at about 1:00 o'clock on the backcast.

Try to move the rod tip back and forth is a straight line, not in a big arc.

Don't overpower the forward cast.  Just do a couple of false casts and then let one go.

Think about getting that back cast high and let it straighten out behind you before you begin the forward cast.  Don't start the forward cast too early.

rabbitangler

Assuming you have a friend :D  get them to look at where you are stopping/starting your cast, better still get someone to video your casts, better better still do as Liddle says and see an instructor

Peter

rabbitangler

Try

http://www.gameanglinginstructors.co.uk/members.asp

Should be some instructors close to Swithun, as well as Allan, Paul & yours truely.

Peter

drumgerry

Right again I'm extremely late to this party but I thought what the hell!! :lol: :lol:

Swithun - we are fellow sufferers on the tailing loop thing.  But - I have had a major breakthrough with it thanks to reading Paul Arden's stuff on Sexyloops.  If you start to use his upwards drifting technique on the back cast you'll probably notice a big improvement.  My problem with tailing loops seems to be starting the forward cast too early (forward creep in Paul Arden's terminology).   Casting high on the backcast and drifting the rod upwards seems to have sorted out most of my tailing loops - ie it gives the line time to sort itself out at the back before I start the forward cast.

It has helped me so it might be worth a try.  Sorry I wasn't around to say this in May when the topic was going strong!

Cheers

Gerry

Go To Front Page