News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tangled leaders - bushy flies

Started by Ptinid, November 29, 2006, 10:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

QuoteNever had a problem with them but i'll look out for the riverge ones.

Up till now I've just been using half blood knots and maybe that doesn't help matters. Maybe you are using the Davy knot or the Uni?

In any case, the Riverge ones are neater than the Lureflash ones. I hear Vision have brought them out too.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

QuoteUsually co-polymer leader or nylon - as thin as I can get away with since WoL fish as spooky as can be.

I think the important bit here is WoL - the fish are exceptionally spooky.  When I fished there regularly I went for a 1lb maxima tippet (days before co-polymer).  I used to use power gum to try prevent breakages.  If I stepped up to 2lb tippet the catch rate was drastically reduced!  I reckon with heavier nylon and rings you would have nae chance.   Now that I fish the Earn my normal tippet strength is 3.5lb co-polymer and the fish don't seem spooked by it at all!  So no doubt you'd get away with the ring. 

I have trouble with line twist when I fish a couple of very specific patterns - one is a spinner type fly (no not a blade lure) where the flat wings seem to cause the problem.  This happens without fail no matter which rod and line weight so its not a fly I use often.  I fish emergers generally usually with a poly-yarn wing, just can't get on with the deer hair type.

Norm

Go To Front Page