News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

is this vintage gear worth anything

Started by alba, February 26, 2010, 07:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba

Been left ALOT of fishing tackle by my uncle when he passed, just wondered if any of its worth anything or if any of it will be good to fish with compared to modern tackle? thinking about trying some of it out.

comments welcome

Hardy Marquies Reel

Hardy Viscount 140 reel with box and case

Hardys Rod

Bruce and Walker Rod
Possibly cane? hexagon in shape

Also got a hardy spinning rod, few old (boxed) mitchell spinning reels etc

Inchlaggan

look at ebay, they now have an app that lets you see what past lots acheived.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Malcolm

All that gear is usable stuff.

The Viscount series were Hardy's "economy" reels but I still use these as sunk line reels when I go on to Loch Leven.

The Marquis was the level above and in mint condition they fetch good money. That one looks well used and I would keep it as it'll do the job as well as anything out there. You'll have to pay just as much as you get for a new reel of lesser quality.

The Farnborough is an one of Hardy's oldest carbon fibre rods designed and used by Richard Walker. Still a good small river sea trout and salmon rod and if you are a good caster can cast over 120ft

The BW Hexagraph 10ft #7 is a pig of a rod in my view. The one casting competition I entered at a game fair was limited to that rod and a double taper line. It was horrible. Use it to hold up your Dahlias or to flick out the childrens toys which have trickled under the couch.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

River Chatter

Quote from: Malcolm on February 26, 2010, 11:34:26 PM
All that gear is usable stuff.
The BW Hexagraph 10ft #7 is a pig of a rod in my view... Use it to hold up your Dahlias or to flick out the childrens toys which have trickled under the couch.

:lol: :lol: Nice one Malcolm.

I agree, with the exeption of the B&W Hex, the other stuff is a bit dated, but still usable.  The Hardy reels in particular are sound and in my opinion should be used not sold.  If for no other reason than making your benefactor happy when he looks down on your fishing progress from his hill loch in the sky.

Go To Front Page