News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

new loch rod wanted, any suggestions

Started by alba, April 26, 2010, 04:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Quote from: fishtales on April 27, 2010, 10:12:51 AM
If you are trying to make me feel inadequate you have succeeded. I'm off to a darkened room to sulk. :P

:lol: :lol:

Buzz uses braided loops too - it's the reason he never catches any fish  :roll: :lol:

Sandy, we'll let you off with the #7 but in the early posts I remember seeing the number #8!

Fishtales

I'll sometimes stick the #8 on in a gale :)

Especially when it is like this, although I was still using the #7 in this clip :)

http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/videos/attadale/Calavie-windy.html
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

scotty9

I hate days like that! Had one exactly the same up in Sutherland in the summer - strangely whilst hating the weather it turned out to be one of my most productive/enjoyable days fishing. We had a #5 and a #4 with us, fortunately I was carrying another #5 line! Just fished with the wind and along the banks and had some remarkable catches to be honest!  :D

So the wind isn't always bad  :lol: (I still hate it!)

Burnfoot Loch

Quote from: scotty9 on April 26, 2010, 06:18:25 PM
I felt the need to jump on this one! Big common misconception - distance comes down to technique more than anything! A 5wt line can be cast over 140' by some, now that is 100% pure technique! I can't do that but I can cast a full #5 line without much effort. You'd be amazed how far it will go with a bit of care!

Would you say distance is more important than presentation.

Fishtales

Presentation every time, distance is only there when you need it. Casting to a rising fish at twenty yards and getting good presentation is possible in a light breeze/flat calm. In a strong wind/gale distance is easy and presentation isn't as important. Everything in between requires decent presentation if you want to catch fish.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

scotty9

Quote from: Burnfoot Loch on April 27, 2010, 10:52:02 PM
Would you say distance is more important than presentation.

No of course not but that is not what the post was saying.

The post was supposed to read that a lighter line gives better presentation yet distance is still possible if needed.

Malcolm

Quote from: fishtales on April 27, 2010, 10:12:51 AM
I use a 10' #7 with a WF7F and three flies, have done for the best part of forty years without any problems. I fish from the bank, I don't wade, and find the extra length helps keep the back cast up off the heather :) I don't see any difference in the line weight making a difference to presentation. I can cover rising fish at twenty yards and catch them on dry fly or two yards if they are beside the bank in shallow water. I also use a braided loop and leader loop to loop which should also stop me catching fish, if you believe all you read  :makefun

If you are trying to make me feel inadequate you have succeeded. I'm off to a darkened room to sulk. :P

That's an identical setup to the best loch brown trout fisherman I have ever known. Aweman on here knows him too. So it's really horses for courses.

The other thing to watch out for - which is why you have to try for yourself - is that some rods with #5 on the handle are really 7 weights. Great once there is 50 feet of line beyond the tip ring but absolutely rubbish at river distances, won't roll cast easily and forget about manipulating line. As you'll gather I have a very low opinion of a lot of the high tech leading edge gear - I think manufacturers have lost the place quite frankly   :worms 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Burnfoot Loch

Quote from: Alan on April 28, 2010, 12:03:52 AM
its not really a matter of one or the other, unless you have another means of getting closer, or know when not to cast and let them come to you :8)

Agh Fish whispering , now your talking . Is there a club for it or is it self taught  :lol:

scotty9

Quote from: Malcolm on April 28, 2010, 10:30:22 AM
That's an identical setup to the best loch brown trout fisherman I have ever known. Aweman on here knows him too. So it's really horses for courses.

The other thing to watch out for - which is why you have to try for yourself - is that some rods with #5 on the handle are really 7 weights. Great once there is 50 feet of line beyond the tip ring but absolutely rubbish at river distances, won't roll cast easily and forget about manipulating line. As you'll gather I have a very low opinion of a lot of the high tech leading edge gear - I think manufacturers have lost the place quite frankly   :worms 

And then some young'un will come along and proclaim that again it's horses for courses and that he actually much prefers a stiffer rod. It does the task at any distance with a quick change to casting stroke. I would think that a stiffer rod manipulates line easier because the stiffer tip translates to line movement quicker? Mr Buzz uses a TCR regularly I believe (or at least used to) and seems to do rather well! Horses for courses - that's my point. (I think :lol:)

Argh i'm dragging it off topic again but there you go :D

I've come across the art of fish whispering, they seem to listen better when you give them a good bolloking for not biting or when they keep coming off :D

tenfootfive

Quote from: breac uaig on April 27, 2010, 03:05:29 PM
I've never had any real problems with lighter rods and the wind, using a wf 5 I can manage most days short of a full gale, even a 3wt I have is managable in a stiffish breeze, I use an 8ft rod even in a boat with no real issues, after a real problem using a 10ft 6 rod I had to use a 7ft rod for 2 years before my shoulder healed, so I went up to a 9ft rod only to find the problem recurring, so an 8ft rod I could manageand so its what I use almost all of the time, all I can say is if you get a shoulder problem with these longer heavir rods you would be glad of a shorter lighter rod, I have mentioned Claud Mundle before who almost destoyed his shoulder with a 16 ft Double hander cane rod, and gave up fishing until he discovered a shorter graphite rod was useable and he could fish again, there is medical evidence that longer rods can cause damage to shoulder muscles due to excess leverage, especially to us old yins,  :) breac uaig
Id go with this, and in severe conditions like fishtales video - so long as you can get your flies out any old way..then work with your rod tip in the water...used to when Saturday was the only day out, but not out in a boat

Go To Front Page