News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

new loch rod wanted, any suggestions

Started by alba, April 26, 2010, 04:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushy palmer

I don't think that there's any substitute for practical "hands on" approach when it comes to trying out rods. Everyone will have their own favourites.

I like a heavy rod and hence I have adapted my own techniques for use in more delicate situations. My regular fishing partner and member of this forum, prefers a light rod and has learned the art of hauling to make his rod as effective as mine in a wind.

So, whilst he might well argue that you need to spend 250 quid on a 5wt loop and I would advocate you spend your time searching the net for a secondhand 6wt daiwa whisker fly - We'd both probably be wrong.

I spent months reading reviews and such like a while back and had made my mind up that I was going for an orvis. The whole world it seemed was raving about it. The day before I had planned to order one, I bumped into a chap using one. He very kindly let me borrow it for half an hour while he stopped for his lunch and I absolutely HATED it. Equally I have found rods that suited me perfectly but have been put off by the finish etc . One such rod was the partridge . I found it an absolute pleasure to use but didn't like the snazy blue blanks it was made with.
The point is, both rods would have been wrong for ME- they might have been right or wrong for you. I say Try before you buy.

Regards,

Brian

haresear

QuoteThe point is, both rods would have been wrong for ME- they might have been right or wrong for you. I say Try before you buy.

Absolutely agree BP. I have a couple of tip action rods for example that I should get rid of as I don't like very tippy rods for fishing with. For casting they are fine, but not for playing fish, in my opinion.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

CB,

Go for the 5 weight you love it!

Norm

alba

Quote from: claretbumble on August 06, 2010, 10:29:15 AM
What did you go for in the end, alba?

I'm in the same position myself - been offered a 10' 5-weight, but a little concerned that the step down from 6's and 7's might be too light.

never went for anything cb, ended up just using my 8ft 3/4wt, had no problem casting 3 wets and no probs with distance or presentation but ive only fished from the boat with it, i might hit a few probs when at the bank if u do need that wee bit extra distance

Go To Front Page