News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New Line help

Started by alba, June 28, 2011, 11:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba

I damaged my line I use most last week and needed a new one pronto, only ever used WF lines before but opted for a DT this time, was intending on purchasing a wildfisher line to try but business was closed for a holiday so ordered a caimore paragon 2 DT4.

Anyone any experience with these lines? The different taper has taken me a we bit to get used to for casting but i just cant get the line to turn over correctly at all, and it seems that the tip is sinking quite badly on it causing unnecessary drag at times in the current.,, ts a welded loop at the end so I doubt water id getting up the line, at first I though it was my tapered leader that was dragging it down but its the same leaders as I use on other lines, same flees etc aswell.

Anyone shed any light? :?

haresear

I can't say I have any experience with the Caimore lines, so I don't know the tapers on them.

If you are having difficulty getting turnover, it may be that your new line has a longer finer taper than what you are used to. Being a lightish DT line it may well be a concave taper, which I would suggest takes a firm stop to turn it over. For anyone who is unclear what I mean by concave taper, this explains it better than I ever could... http://www.castflys.com/ltaperdesign.html

The sinking issue is common with lines with long, fine tips. One cause can be that are fewer air bubbles in the thin coating on the tapered part of the line than there would be with a shorter taper.

Some of my lines sink a bit at the tip too. It can be a bit of a nuisance, but a dab of line grease sorts it in jig time.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I have only used WF Caimore lines and they were fine. Perhaps a touch heavier than the rating, but slick and no excessive tip sinkage. Gordon used one all day yesterday on Watten and liked it. Some lines do have a tendency to sink at the tip, worst I had was an olive DT Barrio and an original Snowbee XS. A lick of grease helps, but it can be  annoying. This seems to happen with all fine tipped fly lines to some extent, even Joe's brand new Rio line sank first time out, so it is not necessarily a function of price / make.

Go To Front Page