News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How long do you expect to get out your breathables

Started by alba, July 18, 2011, 05:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba

Purchased new breathable stocking foot waders mid march this year, greys grxi ones. They easily had 30 - 40 uses this season so far till last week when then had sprung a bad leak on the seam of the left leg and a smaller leak on the left foot. I look after them correctly, they get hung to dry naturally after each session etc. For £250 id have expected them to last longer than that.

I still had my receipt and the company exchanged them for me, but its still a pain.

How long do you expect for your breathable waders to last, I'd have expected at least a season of two from them.

Wildfisher

No matter how much they cost, a season. River fishing is far harder on waders, clambering in and out of the water, up and down banks, thistles, gorse etc. If I was mainly loch fishing I'd expect longer out of them.

I now buy the least expensive waders I can find  (Bison lasted me as long as any other) and  treat them as consumables. It's a pretty sad state of affairs. You should send them back if you have only had them for a short time. It's also worth sending more expansive waders to Diverdave who does a good job.

superscot

I side with Fred on this one I look for the very cheapest i can buy from the net! If i get one /two seasons from them im happy enough at £45 quid or so. As for me paying hundreds of pounds it's just never gonna happen as i tend to be and a bit course on them hence buy cheap and throw away! 

Tweed

Treated myself to a pair of Simms recently as my last couple of pairs of Greys have been really disappointing - barely a season of moderate use.  The Simms boots are great and make a hell of a difference but the "breathable" waders aren't in the slightest bit breathable.  After a decent hike in them my troosers are sodden - they might as well be leaking.  Quite miffed to be honest - I expected better for the money.  I think I'll go down the cheap route in future too - coupled with the half-decent boots.

I remember my first pair of neoprenes - Daiwa ones that I got about 10 years heavy use out of and great for the float-tube.  Ahhh the good old days.   :roll: :D

Highlander

The problem I see in breathables is not the material but how they are put together. That in conjunction with misuse spell the death nell of many a breathable.
I have recently bit the bullet & bought Orvis Endura so hopefully with care I will get a few years out of them. But I will tell you one thing if you are not going to walk any great distance & not in high summer, they you can not beat the old Nylon/PVC ones like Ocean or Barbour. Unless damaged with a tear they simply do not let in.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

alba

Cheers guys, they do get a hard time, mostly on small rivers which in the height of the season it's jungle warfare getting to bits I want to fish, if I can see the rest of the season out witg them I'll be happy then see what diver Dave can do when they start giving up.

davefromtheattic

I'm with you on the thermals, feels a bit less restrictive when clambering about on the riverbank too.

Is this more experimenting with tights?  :crap

alba

Im the same guest, usually just wear kind of light weight combat/cargo trousers under my waders, and I sometimes walk for miles and miles and I stay reletevly cool.

Clan Ford

I think waders are by biggest fishing expense. if I'm lucky I'll get a season out of them.  Diver Dave has kept a couple of sets going for me so I think I'm in my third season without buying any but looks like next year will be a new set.  Like Fred I recommend buying cheap, I've tried a fair few makes and none seem to last any length of time. 

Norm

scotty9

Quote from: davefromtheattic on July 19, 2011, 12:26:19 AM

Is this more experimenting with tights?  :crap

You wouldn't do it if you didn't want to....  :gay4 :lol:

Go To Front Page