News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New small stream rod?

Started by alba, August 01, 2011, 10:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba

The last two seasons I've been using a wychwood truefly 8ft 3/4 weight. Its been a pretty good wee rod,good soft flex, loads up quite well, very light, it was only about £70 when I first purchased it. After last season the cork handle was a mess, and the first day of the season this year it snapped about 7 inches up from the butt when striking into a fish. I had to purchase a new but for it and within 10-15 uses the handle was gubbed again, I've been putting up with it for now but its time for something better.

I'm looking for reviews from you guys, tried and tested opinions. No heavier than a 4 weight, preferably 7ft6 - 8ft, and i'd like to last a long time. Probably willing to spend up-to £300-£400.

Fire away lads. what you's got?

Wildfisher

I'd have said a Sage ZXL, a dream of a rod,  but  about £600  :shock:

What about an Orvis Hyrdos mid-flex? Anyone tried light line versions of these?

alba

Quote from: piscatus absentis on August 01, 2011, 10:43:33 PM
I won't comment on what rod to buy but mention that I also had trouble with the handle of a Wychwood Truefly 9' 4 weight.  Very poor quality cork that split under pressure from my thumb.  I filled it with wood adhesive and sawdust and it seems to be holding up but Wychwood is out for me.

Exact same fault with mine, top ring of the cork now spins freely where my thumb press's.

scotty9

This isn't helpful if you want a Norwich but get yourself down to Glasgow Angling Centre and have a cast of every rod in the shop. Then make your mind up  :wink:

Malcolm

Alba,

Ask David Norwich to quote you for a rod made on an unground blank and with just a statutary sale of goods guarantee (i.e 12months against manufacturer defect). If you break it and it's your own fault he'll probably make you a new section for a reasonable cost.

Alternatively if you like Harrison blanks
http://www.burnsbuiltrods.co.uk/index.html
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on August 02, 2011, 01:03:12 AM
Ask David Norwich to quote you for a rod made on an unground blank and with just a statutary sale of goods guarantee (i.e 12months against manufacturer defect). If you break it and it's your own fault he'll probably make you a new section for a reasonable cost.

That's a good suggestion. You can go and speak to man yourself and possibly try a few of his rods to see if you like them.

Billy

I use a greys GRXi 7' 3#.

Its a perfect size for the wee trout stream. Its the rod I was using on Sunday. At about £100 it will not break the bank and with a wild-fisher line it is nice to handle.

Billy

Wildfisher

Derek,

take a look at these.

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/Nielsen.html

I have a couple of  #5 weight powerflex and a #6  I have not used them for a while, so got a  #5 out this evening for a cast. These rods are as good as anything you'll buy for under £300 - £400  they really are pretty damed good. I see they do them in #3 weight. Worth a try I'd say. I'll  be using one of my #5 this weekend for a wee change I think.  :D Great rods.

Malcolm

Alba,

I have the best 3/4 weight rod ever made but it's no longer available although I dare say David Norwich would replicate it! However Andrew Moray on this forum has the second best light rod I have tried. It's a Hanak 2 weight and it's perfect with a 3 line. It also is fairly cheap. Both of these rods kick sand into the eyes of a Winston, sorry Alan but you know it's true.

However I might manage to persuade the guv'nor of this forum to give me a try of his wee cane rod at some point and I may change my mind again.

Seriously you have to try for yourself   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

alba

cheers guys, Fred if the sage zxl felt good and worked for me i'd prob pay the £600, like you guys say ill need to start trying a few and find whats right for me.

Go To Front Page