News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trangia Burning Times

Started by Wildfisher, March 11, 2012, 09:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buanán

I like the trangia a lot. My one is getting a little scabby now but it must be 30 years old, I swapped it for a rucksack around 28 29 years ago and it's seen a lot of use. It's quite a safe stove in and around tents, provided you don't knock it over.

For me the kettle is the jewel in the crown. The kettle and the burner are often all I'll take with me for making brews on a day trip, the burner fits inside the kettle and the kettle fits neatly into my wee day fishing bag, or a jacket pocket if needs be. Usually I just use a wee heather fire it it's dry, or just use some rocks to get the kettle the right height above the burner if it's damp or there's no heather/wood to use as fuel.

I may get the stainless one later this year by way of a replacement.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Mike Connor on March 11, 2012, 12:25:54 PM
Although for 12 quid you really can not go wrong for that! From the link that Fishtales posted;
http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/product/57
I just realised I already have one of these  complete  with Swedish meths bottle. The stove (burner, housing + 2 pots),  along with cutlery, tin mug  and enough meths for  at least 3 days weighs just under 1.3Kg.It all fits into the stove housing. It's not ultra light but it is very compact. I would be daft  to buy another just  to save 100g or so.  :roll:

I'll just stick with that I think. They are not the fastest, but hell, what's the hurry?

Wildfisher

Plan C

I have bought one of these.

http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/reviews/mini-trangia-review.htm

Far lighter and all you need for one person I think.

scotty9

Quote from: Buanán on March 11, 2012, 12:30:01 PM
It's quite a safe stove in and around tents, provided you don't knock it over.

Makes some amount of flames when you do knock one over! I've seen a couple knocked over in campsites, always a good laugh as long as it is no-where near a tent.

Have to admit to being a bit paranoid about cooking around tents. I never use a stove in my tent unless the weather is bad enough I can't go outside. A tent burns immensely quickly once it's caught. Besides I can't fit my stove in the tent I use now, it's pretty much just me that fits in  :lol:

I have the same stove Fred, worthwhile making your own windshield as it suffers in the wind to quite a large extent. I made a roll up one from duck tape and tent pegs, secure, keeps the wind out and perhaps more surprisingly hasn't melted!

Otter Spotter

Quote from: scotty9 on March 12, 2012, 08:32:50 PM
Makes some amount of flames when you do knock one over! I've seen a couple knocked over in campsites, always a good laugh as long as it is no-where near a tent.

I have seen the aftermath of someone accidentally knocking over a tea light in a tent whilst they were in it. Still to this day dont know how the hell he managed to get out as it was the doorway that went on fire. The tent basically melted on to his arm and made a hell of a mess.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on March 12, 2012, 08:32:50 PM
I made a roll up one from duck tape and tent pegs, secure, keeps the wind out and perhaps more surprisingly hasn't melted!

that's a good idea and a use for the utterly useless titanium  skewer tent pegs I got with my Tera Nova tent.   :lol:

Fishtales

Using heavy aluminium foil would Make it safer :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

scotty9

Quote from: fishtales on March 13, 2012, 02:41:56 PM
Using heavy aluminium foil would Make it safer :)

But I'd have to buy the foil, I had the ducktape  :lol:

I've used it a hell of a lot and haven't had an issue. Very little heat seems to radiate outwards and with the windshield a couple inches away from the outer edge of the pot, so probably at least an inch more from the burner, it is fine. Can stick your hand in between and you won't get burned.

Wildfisher

I got the mini Trangia today and just cooked some "super noodles"  a misnomer if ever there was one. (I am experimenting with backpacking grub right now and I feel it's best to find out what's  shit before heading out into the wilds).

The unit has an elegant simplicity and packs away into a very  small, non rattling, size. It's pretty damned good in fact.  :D

scotty9

Quote from: admin on March 13, 2012, 06:10:19 PM
just cooked some "super noodles"  a misnomer if ever there was one.

Aye, they're shite aren't they?  :lol:

Try lentils boiled up, add in flavouring of your choice (those gravy packet things), can cut some salami sausage in there too if feeling adventurous. Very light, packed full of energy, tastes good - I manage to survive out a rucksack for 7 days on this lentil mix or same thing with rice. Just make sure you don't have any qualms about outdoor toilet stops, lentils seem pretty good for the digestive system  :lol:

Go To Front Page