News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tippet de-greaser/ sinkant etc

Started by alba, March 18, 2012, 10:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba

Was fishing a long pool today on the local, not a ripple in sight apart from a few trout rising, regardless of what I covered them with they wouldnt look at it but I wasn't putting them down. I went through the box of dries, every size. Ive missplaced my "ledasink".

Im possitive this was the problem, I could see my leader going to the fly from 15 yards away so im pretty dam sure to the trout it must have looked like a fly attatched to a bit rope, just couldnt get the leader to break the surface film.

What does everyone use?

Fishtales

Spit. Not the dog the stuff in your mouth :) On your finger and thumb and draw your leader and cast through between them.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

Usually nothing, but I'll use Leedasink with some added washing up liquid at times.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Black-Don

I've got about six tubs of leedasink in various bags, jackets, waistcoats etc,. I took this provision after seeing my one and only tub of leedasink jump entirely of it's own accord from my hand into the loch I was fishing.

oystercatcher

Make up my own by using the following ingredients,fullers earth,glycerin and washing up liquid.I purchased the fullers earth from Amazon and the glycerin from boots the chemist.Mix these contents into a stiff paste,aka Leadasink and place into 35mm camera film case or similar and use as required.Any excess can be stored in an airtight container for future use.I have a 400 gm container of fullers earth and this will last for years.

Traditionalist

Quote from: alba on March 18, 2012, 10:50:59 PM
Was fishing a long pool today on the local, not a ripple in sight apart from a few trout rising, regardless of what I covered them with they wouldnt look at it but I wasn't putting them down. I went through the box of dries, every size. Ive missplaced my "ledasink".

Im possitive this was the problem, I could see my leader going to the fly from 15 yards away so im pretty dam sure to the trout it must have looked like a fly attatched to a bit rope, just couldnt get the leader to break the surface film.

What does everyone use?

The fact that your leader floats is not always the problem, if it glints it will prevent fish from taking and sometimes put them down. De-glinting the leader is often far  more important than degreasing it.  Pulling it through a pad or small sponge with fuller's earth paste will deglint nylon, as it is a mild abrasive. You only need to do this once. Once you remove the "shine" it stays removed. If you want to degrease such a leader then a small sponge with dilute washing up liquid will do the job.

If you forget your gear, drop it in the river, or leave it in the car, then you are often F§$%&$!  That's how it is! Some field expedients may help, but it is always better to ensure that you don't need them! :)

TL
MC

deergravy

Quote from: Mike Connor on March 19, 2012, 03:13:55 AM
The fact that your leader floats is not always the problem, if it glints it will prevent fish from taking and sometimes put them down. De-glinting the leader is often far  more important than degreasing it. 

A floating leader distorts the surface film, even a fine tippet will be very noticeable if it floats. I'd say that makes it much more likely to put a fish off than glint (though I think that could be a factor,too)
For some reason, you can sometimes get away with, but by no means always.
Sunk tippet = more takes, I'm certain of this.
Like Black Don, I've always got a few tubs of Ledasink knocking around my person. It's a pain, but in a flat calm, I'll reapply it as often as required - every other cast if need be.

Dave

Wildfisher

I'm sure it also depends on the size of fly. Degreasing and fine tippets are more important if using a size 16 CDC than if using a size 8 tarantula. 

shad

I still carry some home made leader sink made but hardly use it since switching to fluorocarbon tippet, for rivers i use a normal nylon tapered leader with a foot or 2 of fluoro tippet in 3or4 lb.The end bit sinks fine without treatment ,for Loch fishing 2 or three dries I use 5 or 6lb fluoro  straight through and  sometimes need to give the leader a rub with Muclin between the flies to keep it all up.

Works well for me.

Colin

kemp355

Go To Front Page