News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Chinese gear

Started by zeolite, March 11, 2016, 06:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeolite

O.K. Who has been brave enough to exchange their hard earned for Chinese equipment?

China is just a quick hop from me and I see the stuff on ebay looking temptingly cheap and yet.......

Any advice from those who have braved it?
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Wildfisher

Much of the stuff we buy is Chinese made even if we don't often realise it and not just fishing gear

corsican dave

I came across a Chinese factory advertising hand-built cane rods. to cut a long story short, they were incredibly cheap; £25-ish? something like. the first one turned up within a week of ordering. it was hopelessly warped. the factory couldn't have been nicer. within a couple of days they'd sent out two more for me  :D unfortunately they weren't really much better.... :roll:
once again, they couldn't have been more helpful: complete refund on receipt of my e-mail and told me to keep the rods!! :shock: so, quality shite but customer service exemplary :lol:

however, I have been using "cheap" Chinese braid as backing for some time. it's under a tenner for 500m as you can see
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyneema-Spectra-Extreme-Braided-Fishing-Line-100M-300M-500M-1000M-Army-Green-/201073181802?var=&hash=item2ed0e5446a:m:mDT8It3c-jDvrDL3HpALduA

if you search you'll see they do various types & colours. the company is agepoch from hong kong and I can assure you the quality is absolutely bang on. a couple of very big pike and some incredibly hard-running carp are testament to it!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

I bought a split cane rod from China ---    Zhu?

Brilliant quality cost under £100 I think. Two top sections.  A thing of beauty but I never use it. Next to useless in a headwind.

bibio1

I buy small stuff from Chinese shops on eBay like snips and zingers. I bought a wading staff as well. It's all been good quality and remarkably cheap. Postage is usually free.

Wildfisher

loch coulter

bought 6 flyboxes over the last couple of years, small swing leaf similar to cf design but not same quality but £20 for the lot!=excellent :P

Its Me

what web sites are you seeing this chinese stuff on.

A

Wildfisher

Inchlaggan

As is Amazon, watch for cheap stuff, free delivery (even on items costing less than a fiver) BUT a long time to delivery. "Sourcingmap" is one supplier to look out for.
As an example, from yesterday, a toggle clamp for woodworking, £11 at Axminster Tools UK (plus postage) 2 for £4 (free postage) from China.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page