News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Chinese gear

Started by zeolite, March 11, 2016, 06:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Just about everything  we own & that includes most of our fishing tackle is Made In China. Just about all sports gear & electrical goods. Even Hardy, Orvis & other high end fishing manufacturers have their kit made there. Why? it is bloody cheaper to do so. Do we get the benefits in lower prices, not always. I have always said it there will come a time when The Chinese will bump up the prices & we will say sod that for a game of soldiers. Tell you what we will make it ourselves...........Wait a minute we can not,there are next to nothing manufacturing bases left in the UK, no engineers & no apprentices. Well we do have plenty of service industries & call centres that will have to do.
You reap what you sow.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

It is we the consumer to blame.

You and I.

We like things to be cheap, we like  our money to go further. There are all kinds of products made closer to home – fishing gear, hill gear, musical instruments, the list is endless. We don't buy them because they are  "expensive", we want more and we wish to pay less for it, we are materialist and greedy.  The costs of workers wages, social provision, health and safety etc are high here; in China and places like it they are not and if you go on strike for better pay and conditions there you can expect to be arrested.

If blame has to be apportioned then perhaps  we 1st world workers and consumers who want more and more should first take a look in the mirror.

No point moaning about it, if it troubles you then stop buying cheap gear, support makers and businesses  large and small closer to home, accept you will have to pay more and own less.

zeolite

OK. So apart from C.D's nylon nothing bought direct. OK I will stick my toe in the waters pretty soon.

Updates here.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

corsican dave

I was shown a fly reel that had been brought in by a bespoke rod-maker, just to test out. it was very nice indeed. if you'd stuck a mid-range brand label on it, you'd have been none the wiser. it was pretty obviously not in the same league as the likes of abel, nautilus etc, but it had cost the princely sum of £15
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

bibio1

Quote from: corsican dave on March 18, 2016, 09:24:46 AM
I was shown a fly reel that had been brought in by a bespoke rod-maker, just to test out. it was very nice indeed. if you'd stuck a mid-range brand label on it, you'd have been none the wiser. it was pretty obviously not in the same league as the likes of abel, nautilus etc, but it had cost the princely sum of £15

And those £15reels are light years ahead of the stuff hardy was selling 20 years ago for 10 times the price. Amazing how things change.

lnelson20

Not a bad buy  if you like your leggy flies,a tenner for sixteen bundles free post[also a few free bundles]from togofly ebay.Delivery around three weeks from China.
c.nelson

corsican dave

wow, nice one! i'd always been very frugal with mine, but i'll get an order off straight away. plenty of scope with radical streamer patterns. thanks!  :D
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

lnelson20

Quote from: corsican dave on March 30, 2016, 03:07:43 PM
wow, nice one! i'd always been very frugal with mine, but i'll get an order off straight away. plenty of scope with radical streamer patterns. thanks!  :D
Considering fly tying outlets are looking for 3 or 4 quid a single bundle plus pp they are a very good buy Dave.

Chris
c.nelson

corsican dave

the order's already placed, Chris!  :lol: thanks once again  :8)

rannoch raider

Certainly looks like a right good bargain !

Go To Front Page