News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Ultimate Fly Box

Started by Inchlaggan, June 09, 2019, 03:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Freeman

The box was really tempting but I have too many, went with a rod rack. Should reduce the clutter in my man cave.. until I buy more rods :worried

Inchlaggan

Wood has arrived and very nice it looks too. Currently acclimatising to temperature and humidity in this part of the planet.
Should start making sawdust come Monday.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Inchlaggan

No sawdust today. One of the boards has cupped slightly (1mm) and is now clamped between cauls. Shold be fine tomorrow.
Planed All Round wood is supplied in nominal sizes- my supplier is excellent but sizes can be +/- 1mm for thickness, +/- 3mm for width (over 120 mm) length does not matter as I always order over.
Two sets of wall mounted rod racks are to be made, the style can be seen in an earlier post in this thread. I thought of making the uprights 100mm wide. When I previewd this in Turbocad they just looked too chunky. I have decided to suggest that they be reduced to 30mm in width. The look nice and light and match the arms that will support the rod tubes.

However, one buyer wants his rack carved with a brook trout. This does not work at 30mm wide. So he gets a free plaque to sit above and between the two verticals looking like this-
[attachimg=1]

The other order is for two matching (but contrasting) fly boxes 120x170x24mm. I'll round the edges and corners like this
[attachimg=2]

The interior will be 9mm deep and foam lined
[attachimg=3]

The lid is to feature a carved trout, two design examples were shown in my post earlier in this thread. Stupidly, I did not consider that the "dished" version reduces the storage space within the box as the dish would have to be around 6mm deep. Instead i will suggest a relief carving of the trout in  the same or two contrasting woods.
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]

Whilst the buyers will (of course) have the last word, feel free to comment.  For the moment I have designed the fly boxes to open desk-style, do folks prefer book-style?
Go."

sagecirca

Looking good Ken! Thanks for the updates  :D

Wildfisher

Inchlaggan

Computer simulations Fred. I can still screw up when it comes to the real thing!
Go."

Sean Freeman

Amazing Ken, can't wait to see all the projects coming together.

rannoch raider

I don't see you as someone who screws things up Ken. I think these are going to be lovely. :8)

Inchlaggan

Sorry for the lack of updates- domestic issues- see these banks? Something should be done about these people! Hanging is too good for these people! A good foot up the arse is what they need!
Normal service will be resumed shortly.
Go."

Inchlaggan

Well, as you will have noticed, normal service has not been resumed.
SWMBO's Mother's health has deteriorated and she may have to go into care, all this 165 miles away.
I cannot see myself spending much time in the workshop in the foreseeable future.
My apologies, I will get round to it in due course.

Ken
Go."

Go To Front Page