News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Simba

Started by Laxdale, May 08, 2020, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxdale

Does anyone know where this guy sources his blanks from?

https://simbarods.com/

arawa

Sean Freeman

Sandy Nelson does some excellent rods in both carbon and glass at a similar price point. Worth having a look if you're shopping around.

Laxdale

I am a Guideline man, and can get all I need from them.
I was interested in where the guy sourced his blanks as there were no indications he rolled his own. I suspect he uses Mick Bell`s Bloke blanks as he also sells Mick`s reels.
If he does use Bloke blanks, he is not why with his mark up!

Wildfisher

Sandy Nelson is a total arse. Just in my humble opinion of course.  But he  builds decent enough rods, always out of commercial blanks.  He's not so much a rods maker, more an assembler, but he makes a neat job.  My guess is his glass rods are built on blanks that come from NZ.

Wildfisher

Is simba not a character from the lion king?  It's been a while since my kids were small, but it seems to ring a bell.  :lol:

arawa

Quote from: admin on May 09, 2020, 08:50:05 PM
Is simba not a character from the lion king?  It's been a while since my kids were small, but it seems to ring a bell.  :lol:

In this case, Simon Barnes = Simba. He used to be the board master during my week at Scourie. My friend has one of his Wee Loch rods.

Sean Freeman

Sandy is building on his own tapers rolled for him by Mike McFarland now, Mike knows how to design an awesome taper so I expect they'll be a very nice series of rods! He still builds on Epic blanks but they're no longer NZ made so I no longer buy them. He does build on Sage, Stickman and even a few David Norwich blanks that are very nice! He's always been sound with me and gave me some very good info on the Don.

Wildfisher

I saw a few of Sandy's rods built of Sage and Norwich blanks years ago. They were fine. He's certainly a decent enough assembler.

Go To Front Page