News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sage Light Line

Started by Wildfisher, May 10, 2020, 09:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I see Sage has reintroduced a new model of this old favourite. Lovely rods if a bit pricey.

https://www.farlows.co.uk/sage-trout-ll-single-handed-fly-rod.html

Laxdale

I cannot see the point in spending even moderate money on a short range casting tool. (One of the catalysts for my Simba query). Is line/leader/stealth not more important?

Wildfisher

All these premier rods are vastly overpriced for what is essentially a length of plastic with some cork glued to one end.

On the other hand compared to quality photography gear it's peanuts and the rod only becomes obsolete in people's heads whereas cameras do become obsolete and wear out. So if you look after your rod it will last a lifetime.

Glass fibre  has made an expensive  comeback in recent years. Totally absurd and a classic example of the power of marketing.

Sean Freeman

I quite fancy a new LL 389 or 486, nothing wrong with liking nice things, I'm a complete tackle tart though and I realise something like a Redington classic trout would be similar! With glass rods, they've hit the mainstream again over the last five years but they have been advancing quietly over the last few decades to the point that I find them superior for small stream fishing and some tapers are even good enough for medium to large waters! They're a hell of a lot of fun to fish and I think people have forgotten that's what fishing is about. You can go cheap and buy Maxcatch or Aventik but if everyone done that then the tackle industry here in the U.K. would go tits up and all the money would go to sweatshop owners, that and I think the line ratings are way off.

At least that's how I justify my expensive tastes for western made products! A glass rod from Chris Barclay is a small stream heirloom grade machine!

http://cbarclayflyrods.com/

Wildfisher

I still use my old Sage ZXL 9' #4 and my Sage Z Axis  9' #4 for just about all my fishing. I also use a Scott 9' #5 when I need a bit more beef. All three rods were bought 2nd hand  for a about 1/3 of the new price. For small streams I just over-line the ZXL. 

sagecirca

Bought one as soon as they arrived on these shores. Not even had a line through it yet  :(

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Quote from: sagecirca on May 10, 2020, 11:23:35 AM
Not even had a line through it yet

Aye David it's a depressing situation.  We have probably  missed the best of the river trout season already :(

Sean Freeman

You'll have to let me know what you think David, the 486 was going to replace my X in the same size but might just keep both!

sagecirca

Quote from: Sean Freeman on May 10, 2020, 11:49:26 AM
You'll have to let me know what you think David, the 486 was going to replace my X in the same size but might just keep both!

They will both be totally different actioned rods. I know this without even casting them - the LL is more slower actioned and suited for dries. The X is fast with a fast recovery and could handle everything other than barbless flies, light  tippets and small fish!

sagecirca

Quote from: admin on May 10, 2020, 11:37:44 AM
Aye David it's a depressing situation.  We have probably  missed the best of the river trout season already :(

I was hoping we'd at least salvage some of what May has to offer but that's looking unlikely.

Go To Front Page