News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Too good to be true??

Started by arawa, October 30, 2020, 02:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

https://www.epeenek.top/

I am a great believer that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
However, I tripped over this website that, although not easy to navigate and with no contact details, seems to have some real bargains. For example, Rio InTouch fly lines for £33, Scientific Anglers for £17, and Riverge Flouro leaders (I know, I know) for £2.60 with 100m of Grand Max for £12. There are plenty more items from many brands although fly items are mixed in with coarse tackle.
My first thought was fakes but there so many items it seems unlikely. It could be a complete scam where money is taken and no order appears but with payment by Visa/Paypal it is easy to apply for a refund on non-delivery. I wonder if they are taking excess stock from Chinese manufacturers producing for the big brands.
I am very tempted to put in a trial order despite the risks; nothing ventured, nothing gained. Although of course a fool and his money are soon parted :roll:.

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

arawa

Quote from: Fishtales on October 30, 2020, 02:56:32 PM
Only created on the 20th October  :shock:

https://whois.domaintools.com/epeenek.top

I know. All very suspicious but ...  :8)
If it is a complete scam someone has put a LOT more work into it than needed to catch a few fools before social media warnings put a stop to it.

Bobfly

The reputation of PayPal for giving customer refunds and processing claims is pretty poor.  Because they stand between the customer's card and the seller you have less protection than a card used direct.
Looks like this outfit is some sort of clearance house  and lots of retailers will have cancelled orders this year.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

arawa

OK. I am happy to be the Board's guinea pig :D
The site is really not easy to navigate and there are some pricing anomalies (same object at different prices). Anyway, as my other thread, I wanted a waterproof sling and they have the Fishpond Thunderhead for £73 including postage. I also ordered some tapered leaders which brought the total up to £91. But when I paid I was only charged £50.33 because of a "quantity discount".
I used Paypal because it does not give my card details away - and I have never had any Paypal issues.
There is lots of Orvis, Patagonia, Simms et al kit advertised at silly prices.
I might end up ripped off but the risk/reward ratio made it worth a gamble for me.

arawa

Well, I have had an email confirmation of my order.
Actually, two separate email confirmations for the same items but with different order numbers so perhaps I shall have 2 waterproof slingpacks - or none!

Its Me

Keep us up to date.
How long is the delivery time.
       A

Noddy

I looked at the FAQ page which says shipping is usually 5-7days.  Also states they do not charge sales tax?  Makes me think its coming from abroad and there might be VAT etc to be paid.

Jim

arawa

Quote from: Noddy on October 30, 2020, 08:44:27 PM
I looked at the FAQ page which says shipping is usually 5-7days.  Also states they do not charge sales tax?  Makes me think its coming from abroad and there might be VAT etc to be paid.

Jim

There might well be duty etc, but on another web site people claim they rarely get charged on items from China. In any event, I have paid about 25% of the cost of buying in the UK so there is plenty of headroom :D

Doing more browsing, I see they have Abel nippers and other USA made items. In fact, an absolutely enormous range across the board. Very curious.

Sean Freeman

I'm a bit of an Abel fanboy so if your order turns up safe and sound I'll be indulging!

Go To Front Page