News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Pike set-up, leader?

Started by Robbie, September 30, 2011, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Actually I have been fortunate in that respect, although I know it does happen a lot. This MAY have to do with my VERY hard hook set. Most people do seem to "strike" by heaving the rod back and up. This actually doesn't move the fly very far, and even less so if the fish has it clamped in its jaws. A hard slip strike actually moves the fly further and it is a direct contact hook-set. Most fish here are taken for the pot. It is actually illegal to release a takeable fish, although some people do manage to accidentally drop them back into the water amazingly often! :)

TL
MC

Andrew Moray

Hello Robbie,

This is for river and river mouth pike, and using the long Outbound lines.

I use Salmon polyleaders twixt line and wire, courtesy of advise from a canal session with Dave Lindsay (PFFA).
Turns over well, relative to my river setups, and if you've got a couple of different densities, lets you be a bit more flexible before a line change.

HTH,
Tony

Allan Crawford

I just use 6 or 7ft 20lb mono, though thinking of trying my salmon poly leaders.

Robbie

Will have a look at the polyleaders, cheers Tony.

paulr

Hi Robbie,

I use 6ft of 15lb mono nail knotted to the fly line. I join the mono to the trace material with a swivel. I attach a clip to the end of the trace to make it easy to change flies quickly. Never had any problems.

cheers

Paul

paulr

Mind and get permission before you go golfing, sorry, pike fishing Andy ;-)

paulr

Aye well if this weather ever calms down, and you fancy some company, I'd be up for joining you on a pikey trip.
cheers
Paul

Go To Front Page