News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

DIY backpacking meals- Tommy Soup

Started by bushy palmer, December 10, 2013, 11:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

Dried meat would work well in Thai curries I reckon.  The paste can be bought in Chinese supermarkets in tubs (red, green and others), which is an acceptable substitute for freshly made these days and you can take what you need in those little plastic containers that kebab sauce comes in.  Very light.  Coconut milk is already available in little cakes, not unlike soap bars, and again just take what you need with you then melt it in some hot water before using, or chuck it straight in the pot with the paste and a little water.  The paste is fried off in a little oil first to bring out the flavour. Fish sauce and concentrated lime juice are a must have and can be taken in those little bottles that are used for food flavourings, as they're plastic, weigh nothing and seal well.  Fresh coriander keeps for a day or so if in a Tupperware type container to stop it getting crushed - if you're lucky, but worth a go for the added flavour.

I make the rice first (Thai Fragrant or Jasmine) in a separate pot and covered wel with tinfoil to keep warm out of any cold winds.  And if you've got any of Andy Fachan's chillies take them too!  Thai stuff is amongst my favourite Trangia dishes as it's so satisfying and easy.  It's right up there with my saffron infused Paella!   :lol:

Noddy

If you use coconut milk you will need to check the oil content, it can be up to 20% oil depending on the type.

Jim

bushy palmer

I've mainly been concentrating on stuff which rehydrates well enough with no direct heat (ie stick it in the thermos flasks with boiling water)- this way things don't really stick to the sides and doing the "dishes" should be a simple enough matter of rinsing out the flasks.

Those curry pastes that you talk about from the chinese supermarkets are ace- I'm a big fan and reckon for camping they probably can't be beat. They do require direct heat though and hence stick to the side of the pot. I reckon I'll probably take one of those along but use it as the last meal- so that when I struggle to get the pot clean, I'm not giving everyone the shits  :D.

River Chatter

Quote from: bushy palmer on December 11, 2013, 01:59:16 PM
I reckon I'll probably take one of those along but use it as the last meal- so that when I struggle to get the pot clean, I'm not giving everyone the shits  :D.

Are you using unlined aluminium pots Brian?  If so, they are a real pain and everything sticks in my experience  I switched to non-stick for my Trangias and only use the plain aluminium pan for boiling water now, if at all. I'd never use a frying pan that isn't non-stick due to the time wasted scrubbing the buggers out.  Makes a big difference and often a bit of kitchen paper is enough to wipe them clean.  :)

Bobfly

Most Chinese supermarkets sell coconut milk as a powder in sachets. We buy Instant Coconut Cream Powder from the See Woo (next to the Glasgow Angling Centre) in 250gm bags. That could perhaps be added later as the powder to your other dried mixture ingredients once they are prepared?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

This is all getting far too complicated. As veteran of two Himalayan botanical expeditions I expect a certain standard of catering so I'll likely go "Raj Style"  again and take porters to carry everything. 

I'll probably also take along that cute little Taiwanese  serving girl,  See Woo.    :lol:

Inchlaggan

The locations I use on fishing trips take a very dim view of one cooking one's own meals in one's suite.
And the Trangia sets the smoke alarm off.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Bobfly

For fire alarm reasons one should surely use the Trangia in the en-suite, and then use the bidet for the washing up which is what they are for.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

bushy palmer

Quote from: River Chatter on December 11, 2013, 03:58:33 PM
Are you using unlined aluminium pots Brian?
Aye spot on!

They're from my trangia. All the other meals I have planned will simply be a case of boiling the Kelly and dehydrating in the thermos food flasks.

Otter Spotter

Quote from: River Chatter on December 11, 2013, 03:58:33 PM
Are you using unlined aluminium pots Brian?  If so, they are a real pain and everything sticks in my experience

A handful of sand / gravel from the side of the burn or loch, cleans em out in no time with little effort, I usually carry 15ml of wshing up liquid, a couple of drops before the gravelling helps.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Go To Front Page