News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do Stiff Rods Lose More Fish?

Started by Wildfisher, December 19, 2013, 11:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Think Stiff Rods Lose More Fish?

Yes
No
Don't Know

Otter Spotter

I voted no because as far as I'm concerned they dont, however I have only ever fished with fast rods. Its definitely a case of each to their own. If someone who normally fishes a 'slow' rod then the transaition to a poker is likely to take a bit of getting used to. Likewise I cant get my cast adjusted for anything too bendy, it just feels wrong.
I cant remember the last time I lost a fish. I agree with Fred when he suggests that a lot more are lost due to a dodgy business end, knots, nylon etc.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Bobfly

Rod angle will presumably have a significant effect on the cushioning and a rod held too low is likely to increase the chances of break-of. Once any slack is back onto the reel .... !! .... a high rod angle must help matters.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

shad

I hadn't given this much thought till I fished with a guy called Jan Siman a few years ago in Czech Republic as an add on to a weekend in Prague.

He was the chap who brought Czech nymph to the UK back in the 80s when he won the World Championships on the Welsh Dee.

Im not into competitions but his methods were very interesting and I learned a lot in a day with him, anyway he said the Czechs used light soft rods in 2-4 wt  so they didn't loose fish on barbless hooks in matches . I think we fished rods with boron in the blanks , which he said had the best action for playing fish.

However a lot of the time in Scotland a little backbone is required for casting and I prefer a mid to tip action for most of my fishing.

ATB Colin

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on December 20, 2013, 11:47:45 PM
i lost a fish in the presence of Fred by dropping the rod low when it took off last season,

And 1/2 hour later I lost one. Broken, probably my best fish  of the season. Inspection showed the tell tale piggy tail at the break. A  "wind knot" or as it really is a "crap casting knot". When casting at the limit of your ability as  was that time, you really should check your leader frequently or learn how cast a bit better.   :lol:

haresear

I voted "Don't know", because well, I don't know if a different rod would have lost/landed a fish for me.

what I do know is that a rod which bends more readily into the mid and lower sections gives me more margin for error when playing a fish. It is a more efficient shock absorber than a rod which bends only at the tip.

A rod is three things. A lever when we are pulling line through the air, a spring when we stop the rod and it pings the line into a  travelling loop and lastly, a shock absorber when playing a fish.

At times the ability to cast a long line is useful, but for me the tip to middle or "progessive" action gives the best compromise.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Part-time

I went for don't know. I don't think any of the rods I've ever fished with would be thought of as stiff and a lot are/were definitely soft action. Most time I lose fish its because the hook pulls out and when it happens I just accept the hook hold wasn't that good although sometimes I wonder if I should have gone a bit easier; I'd guess a stiffer action rod would make it more rather than less likely for a hook to pull out. Any time I get breaks there usually seems to be a poor/wind knot involved.

Stonepark

I fish with a range of rods from 7ft6 1wt (river and kayak) to 9ft 3wt (loch and boat) to 10ft 7wt (salmon) to my little used 14ft 10wt and have fished most sizes in between.

Where stiffness is concerned, especially with supposedly casting rods rather than fishing rods, I suspect some of the problem is down to physics and where more fish might be lost is because the rod does not match the average weight of the quarry and the quarry can move/react faster than the rod/fisherman can.

For example to give an extreme example, when I have a 1lb fish under pressure on the 1wt, the arc is about 9/10 the length of the rod and that gives space and time for adjustment either by the rod or the fisherman when the fish surges, if I have a 1lb fish on a 10wt only the top 1/10 of the rod is under pressure and the time for the rod/fisherman to react is similarly reduced as too little pressure and hook gets thrown, too much pressure and hook gets thrown/pulled out/etc.

Most marketing of the 70's 80's and 90's was directed at the cast for the horizon stockie brigade to catch more fish and therefore stiffer, more powerful rods were in vogue, however the 00's have shown quite a few manufacturers focusing on more 'river' rods giving a more through action and softer response, but which also suit a lot of wild and Scottish fishing.

Hopefully more and more people will see the light and opt for more sensible sized and actioned rods and enjoy their fishing all the more as a 3lb wild fish on a 1wt is something you will never forget.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Wildfisher

Yes that makes a lot of sense Stonepark.  :D

mackiia1

Quote from: admin on December 19, 2013, 11:28:07 AM
Stiff rods have advantages for casting, but I'm pretty sure I lose more fish with them due to hooks tearing out. I also believe tippet breakages are more frequent.

What do you think and why?

(Poll results are only visible to those who have voted)
I have now sold all bar one of my fast action/ stiff rods and replaced them with medium action and lighter lined rods.
My go to rod now for the Loughs is a 10ft 5wt Hardy Marksman or Grey's Streamflex . I might go to a 10ft 6wt in windy conditions when pulling wets.
On the rivers I use a 9ft 4wt Streamflex most of the time . The reasons were as you said - pulling out of fish for no apparent reason and breaking light tippets.
I have to say that using lighter , softer rods are a joy to use compared to the 'pokers' I started out with.
The only fast rod I now use is A Sage Z Axis 9ft 4wt - which for some strange reason is a joy to use and I will not part with it.
Ian

nacnud

Is it not a case of the line rating of the rod rather than the action. I see lots of anglers fishing with 8 weight rods for trout then trying to use fine light leaders - a recipe for disaster I think. I use a fast action Sage in a 4 weight and have no problems breaking off or pulling the hook out.

Go To Front Page