News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Useless or Seldom Used Crap

Started by Wildfisher, March 08, 2015, 07:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darwin

Sometime we just have to man up and carry the burden if it is really needed...   as long as you don't look like city folk with every gadget Orvis sells hanging off yer freshly pressed vest!      :worried

Wildfisher

Quote from: Element on March 08, 2015, 10:31:02 PM
I've never understood folks carrying drinking water into the hills

I'd agree with that,  however drinking water from a Scottish river is asking for trouble. Most are polluted by chemical, animal and human sewage effluent. 

Part-time

Quote from: Element on March 08, 2015, 10:31:02 PM
I've never understood folks carrying drinking water into the hills, I get it if its a liquid of a "lighter density" and I also get it if its a lowland water or river that is being fished - but a litre of water weighs a kilo... You use more energy carrying a weight up a hill than you do carrying the same weight down the hill. I agree with John's input of the dried fruit - instant energy & not heavy, keeps you going through mealtimes if necessary.
Day treks are surely not such a major issue; we can all carry adequate gear for a day in the hills without any real burden; its when the trek is involving the overnighting that the weight becomes a more serious issue.

E.

I am starting to get a bit wary in the more popular hill areas though - with the sheer numbers of people in some places the chances of something nasty ending up in a burn are unfortunately getting higher.

I dont bother with sandwiches and crisps anymore - dried dates, nuts & raisins I find much better. About the maximum calorie to weight food I can find is cashew nuts.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on March 09, 2015, 12:27:18 AM
i loose my vision

I noticed that but was too polite to say.  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on March 08, 2015, 07:40:58 PM
used to be called a manservant or a bearer in the good ol' days....

We always used porters in the Himalayas old bean. It also helped create some local employment. This might work in high unemployment areas of the Scottish Highlands.  :8)

highlander2504

Quote from: admin on March 09, 2015, 05:55:13 AM
We always used porters in the Himalayas old bean. It also helped create some local employment. This might work in high unemployment areas of the Scottish Highlands.  :8)

It would certainly make an overnighter with a float tube in the rucksack much more pleasant.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on March 09, 2015, 05:55:13 AM
Quote from: highlander2504 on March 09, 2015, 07:52:19 AM
It would certainly make an overnighter with a float tube in the rucksack much more pleasant.
call me for rates  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

alancrob

I seem to remember weighing my waistcoat at one of the stravaiges and realising it was heavier than any trout I had ever caught.

I found a solution to the problem, I put most of the stuff in my pockets now. Simples!

A.

Wildfisher

Quote from: alancrob on March 09, 2015, 10:02:49 AM
I seem to remember weighing my waistcoat at one of the stravaiges and realising it was heavier than any trout I had ever caught.

A  1/2 lb waistcoat eh?   :lol:

Highlander

If you decide what is "necessary" to carry then that is your choice. Certainly not for others to say otherwise. Your the one that is carrying  it not them. Having said that some carry far too much & it becomes more of a hindrance than anything else at times. Waistcoats are still popular but the few times I tried them I thought I looked more like an extra in the film Full Metal Jacket. You should have nothing in front of you to get in the way.  I have settled on a 20l daysac for bulky items & a Orvis waist bag for "the essentials"  The waist bag can be slung round the rear when not required & brought to the front when required. Only problem I have found so far is that if you try to deep wade the bag will get a soaking.

Tight Line
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page