News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whisky Reviews

Started by SoldierPmr, April 17, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Having been introduced to the 'water of life' for many years I agree with Jim that those of us that are partial to a dram or two have usually started our drinking life consuming alcoholic drinks with sweet mixers, vodka with lemonade, rum and coke etc, but as you get older your taste buds definitely change and drinks that are less sweet are more palatable.
My preference for whisky is more towards the single malt offerings with the Islay matured varieties my most favoured. But this has taken many years developing my taste from softer tones from the lowlands and speyside distillers to the stronger peatier offerings from the islands.  Talisker is definitely a favourite of mine and I would recommend it as a starter for those venturing into the peaty varieties. I did start some years ago with the more delicate speyside malts notably Glenmorangie which I would recommend to anyone wishing to start on their whisky journey. Very light but tasteful and not to harsh on the palate. I would also recommend that no matter which whisky you choose always add a small amount of water, it not only takes away the bite of 'neat' whisky but mellows the taste and enhances the flavours. You will be amazed at how many flavours different whisky's produce.

No matter what your tipple ...enjoy!

Jim

superscot

Nothing better than  a chilled can of McEwan's Export along with a guid hoose half of malt whisky and just sit and relax watching the log burner, canny beat it.

andy m

good to here our wee drams of choice. the lagavulin 16 year old for me a big tasting whisky lots going on in that dram cheers andy m

SoldierPmr

For people just starting Malts I would recommend Aberlour as it's usually on offer some where and for the money it's a good whisky fairly dark but not too over powering with a nice smokey flavour not too strong to put new comers off.

I'm still waiting to try Talisker Storm I don't usually go for unaged malts but I've o ly heard good things from it.

highlander2504

I can't see past Ben Riach dark rum finnish at the moment.

zeolite

Old Pulteney is my favourite and I can get it here for $35! I have converted my American and Brazilian friends.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Billy

Slowly working my way through a bottle of Dalmore.

I had a dram last night and it was the dogs danglies.

Billy

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Billy on April 20, 2015, 12:22:43 PM
Slowly working my way through a bottle of Dalmore.

I had a dram last night and it was the dogs danglies.

Billy
how much did that set you back?

Billy

It was a Christmas present from my youngest and her boyfriend but i saw it in Tesco for around £50.

I was a bit shocked and told her it was far too much to spend.

It is nice right enough. One of the best I've tasted and Ive tasted a lot of different malts over the years.

Billy

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Billy on April 20, 2015, 05:08:05 PM
It was a Christmas present from my youngest and her boyfriend but i saw it in Tesco for around £50.

I was a bit shocked and told her it was far too much to spend.

It is nice right enough. One of the best I've tasted and Ive tasted a lot of different malts over the years.

Billy
its something I'm after my self ive heard it has a hint of orange in its taste.  :)

Go To Front Page