News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Double Spey Two Handed Rod From Right Bank

Started by speydulika, September 03, 2015, 09:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speydulika

I have again been playing silly buggers with my GoPro camera. Another short clip of 2 casts only that I pit together to strongly emphasis how putting pauses into casts can make them work far more cleanly and with a lot more efficiency. The lads I did it for found it at least a little bit useful and I hope that some of you do too. There is a pause after the initial lift which will make allowance for the angler to 1. Ensure consistency of lift and 2. Gather your thoughts for the next part of the cast which is the placement of line upstream. After placing line upstream another lift is made and again pause. The pause is introduced for the same reasons as the initial pause. After sweeping the line around us on the next part of the cast a 3rd pause is introduced this one is critical as the D or V loop needs time to bloom, develop or mature. It is recommended by quite a lot of us that you turn your head and watch this loop develop. I hope this makes some logical sense  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYCk4w56hY

Lochan_load

I'll have a look at this later, I'm going out tomorrow with the two hander. Still very much a beginner at Spey casting, I didn't realise there was so much to it when i started last year, can be frustrating but a bit like golf when you get one sweet it's very satisfying!

rannoch raider

It might just be my poor eyesight but I'm finding it very difficult to see where the line and D loop are throughout the video? I'm sure the glare and movement of the water isn't helping. I'd like too see one of these videos filmed from a drone from various angles. That would do the trick.

speydulika

The fundamental principles are the same for all Spey casts regardless of what  precludes the delivery. A double Spey for example should be delivered in exactly the same fashion as a single. The difference is that before making the D or V loop before delivery we use the rod and the water to manipulate line into a position that allows us to deliver a Spey cast downstream of us on a right bank with right hand up where for a single Spey ordinarily it would be left hand up the rod. The fundamentals are as follows:

1. Start and finish the cast (any cast) with your feet and body facing your target.
2. Spey casts require that we use an anchor and a D or V loop.
3. Your anchor should be placed 1 to 1-1/2 rod lengths away from you.
4. Your D or V loop should be at 180 degrees (directly opposite) your casting target.

Faults usually occur by not adhering to one or more of the above fundamentals. There are of course many other things that sometimes go wrong. If for now however you concentrate on the 4 fundamentals that I have listed then you should give yourself an advantage.

With the double Spey a very common fault is not pushing enough line upstream to allow lots of line to be introduced into your loop. Not moving enough line upstream is extremely difficult at best and near impossible at worst to rectify and you will usually make a poor delivery or abort the cast altogether.
If you push too much line upstream then you can utilise the benefit of the pause that I have suggested to allow the current to pull some line back downstream and from here you are extremely well placed to make a decent loop under a lot of tension which will load the  rod extremely efficiently. The cast will usually deliver with extremely desirable results.

Going out and practicing with a double hander on a piece of water and making casts with line, rod and body in different positions can be extremely enlightening. Practice in all things in life is essential. Tuition is excellent but tuition without practice is in my opinion is a complete waste of money.

Lochan_load

I'll bear that in mind tomorrow, I've scoped out a stretch of my local river (leven) that's got good wading and not too many distractions so I'll basically be having a day of casting practise so that if I do get a chance to fish somewhere later in the year I'll hopefully have ironed out at least some issues and not be wasting money on a dearer beat fumbling my casts!
The main problem I've had is consistently setting my anchor point, for that reason I quite like the snap T but it's a bit fiddly to do for too long and id like to get the single/double Spey sorted out

speydulika

If you find Snap T's a bit fiddly then  perhaps try the circle cast. It is clean and efficient, allows for big direction changes. The moves are less acute than with snap casts and they are gentler to perform.

If you are struggling with consistency with anchor placement on Spey casts. Do not concentrate on Spey casts for now but put some hard practice in for extended periods on jump rolls or forward Speys as they are sometimes known. You can remove the complication of the directional change when making a standard Spey and just concentrate on anchor placement. Once you have this ironed out the change of direction aspect is dead easy. What I would say to you and it is very possible that you do this already but it is absolutely critical that when you make your sweep with any cast you turn your head and 1. watch your anchor placement and 2. Wait for and watch closely your loop develop and mature. If you are not looking what you are doing you are in a very poor place to be able to work out what has gone wrong or indeed what has gone right.

If you wish to pm me some video clips of your session I will take a beady look at them if you like.

Lochan_load

Good luck up there, I'm hoping for a day on the Tay later in the season.
My lack of consistency is just down to lack of practise! I've had only three days with the two hander and it's always been on an unknown beat which brings it's own challenges, tomorrow I'm hoping to just get 6-7 hours purely casting (I'll stick a fly on the end though just in case!!)

Go To Front Page