News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Curvature

Started by Wildfisher, January 14, 2016, 12:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Of hooks I mean.

Have you found any style of hook to hold better than another - or are some just a disaster?

We have previously discussed long shank hooks and some of us, myself included, have found them dreadful for losing fish, especially when de-barbed. I have also found Partridge Kinkhamer hooks really poor fish holders, mainly losing smaller fish it must be said. I moved away from de-barbed hooks and use properly designed barbless with in-turned points which I find lose much  fewer fish.

Do  you find curved emerger style hooks better or worse fish hooker / holders.

What is your choice and do you de-barb or use barbless?

Highlander

I agree with the first two comments re l/S & Klinks. My preference is for a sproat shape in wet fly hooks make does not matter too much but has to be a medium wire for standard wet fly. Was not overerly keen on  the Tiemco make & in particular the TMC 200R which I found to be a poor hooker. The others in range I found to be a bit too light in the wire though things may have changed now.
The old Martins outpoint hook was good I miss that one. The Captain Hamilton hook was ok.
For Salmon ones I liked were Esmond Drury trebles but disliked the Partridge Salar. The Wilson hook I used for dapping flies.
I now debarb all mine but never buy an actual factory barbless no reason just never bothered. One I do miss for my type of fly fishing is the good old Limerick bend. An ideal wet fly hook with good inherent strength.
Everyone has their favourites & as it should be.
Tight Lines

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

corsican dave

partridge Ad Swier CS43 barbless pike hooks. awful, truly awful. why he ever let himself be associated with them I don't know. maybe everyone's too polite to tell him? it's interesting that they were being sold off cheap a couple of years ago, yet they're still available and being pushed as the thing to have. i sent a couple to Highlander and we both agreed that the profile is rather odd, to say the least.

the sakuma manta is currently my go-to hook for freshwater with the classic tiemco 811s or its clones for the salt

for smaller (size 8 or so) i'll generally pick up whatever Kamasan comes to hand.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

I have used Circle hooks for tope and skate fishing and found them very good hookers and holders. They are now making their way into fly patterns. I've seen a few here and there on the net but nothing in the shops. I'm not sure how they would work on a fly.

http://thefeatherbender.com/tag/shrimp-patterns/

rannoch raider

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts. If a fish gets a chance to take and turn then its likely to be hooked and it is probably going to stay hooked. I'm just not sure how they would perform in some fly fishing situations. They are starting to appear in flies so there will be some feedback kicking around soon enough.

corsican dave

lost the first two pike I hooked on a circle hook fly and have never bothered since. not particularly conclusive, I know, but I know full well how easy it is for a pike to inhale a fly and get it in the gills if you wait too long; so I try not to risk it. on the other hand, if you tighten up too soon or, even worse, strike.... :roll:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page