News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

cold weather tubing

Started by corsican dave, February 28, 2016, 08:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

not only is this a pretty cool video in its own right, there's some excellent advice about clothing for winter tubing. that new jacket from vision is an object of desire too...  :8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byLCbI21WQs
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

Amazing how good the Scandinavian pike fishing seems to be! Handy rear space in that type of tube to put your spare bits and pieces and second rod setup.  :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

Quote from: Bobfly on February 28, 2016, 11:23:27 PM
Amazing how good the Scandinavian pike fishing seems to be!
1) they've regarded it as game fishing for many, many years and treat it as such; even to the extent of breeding programmes and stocking ( :shock:)
2) angler pressure is significantly less than uk. quite aside from the fact that most uk anglers prefer to sit under a bivvy in the same place all weekend ....

Quote from: Bobfly on February 28, 2016, 11:23:27 PM
Handy rear space in that type of tube to put your spare bits and pieces and second rod setup.  :D :D
Colin (Shad) told me it was for keeping your beer cold... :roll: :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

The downside seems to be the use of the broad LiLo type of inlet valve because you then need to carry a pump, but the double action ones are quite small and not a big deal. Much lighter all round to carry than the Steve Parton Cruisers !
I see they went out to the edges of rushes before getting in and putting their flippers on. I just get in and heel backwards through whatever lilies and weeds there might be. :shock:

JimJams

Finally got round to watching this! Cracking, makes me want to get out even more!
Dave are you in breathables in a tube?
I have neoprenes i usually use for the tube bu have started smart layering a bit more and finding it more bearable!

corsican dave

yes, I use breathables Jamie. 'cos it's all I've got  :lol: having said that, I was out the other evening with just ordinary trousers under my waders and I wasn't cold. the primaloft trousers are similar to what I use under my drysuit for kayaking. superb piece of kit. I got them for ice-climbing years ago and i'm really glad I kept hold of them

a question for the more experienced tubers out there:

how do you carry your gear when you're carrying your tube inflated? do you put your stuff in the pockets already to go? what about food, extra clothing etc? a small pack (waterproof stuff-sack) strapped to the tube is my thinking?

JimJams

All my stuf goes in the pockets, my tube has 2 arm pockets, one for fishing gear, other for phone, blood sugar checker and essentials.
Then there's a large pocket on top of the back rest I keep the 12v pump and a couple of other bits and bobs in.
As for carrying it inflated, i took the straps from my laptop bags and clipped them to the D rings. Works pretty comfortably as a backpack, wouldn't like to carry it miles and miles though!

corsican dave

okay, sounds like I was thinking along the right lines. the lineaffe tube comes complete with basic harness straps, good pockets on the arms and plenty of lashing points; but no pocket on the back-rest. easy enough to lash a small pack between the hull pontoons behind the seat tho'. wouldn't want to do serious trekking with it like that, but then i'd lob it in a rucsack deflated if that were the case.

as a for instance, the short hop down from the car to d-------aig, arriving with the tube already inflated in the back of the truck. pretty feckin' idle, eh?  :lol:

JimJams

Ideal as ya like!
I have one of these on carabiners attached to my backpack, might be just what you need!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322024085456

Bobfly

I use the shoulder straps that come with the tube, but draw them together across my front with a short loop and krab.
Have used that for a couple of miles and is OK but I now have a new "big bag" roll-top with attached straps. Mine mouth inflates on four bladders so I don't need a pump.

Go To Front Page